VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a 2010 Jetta TDI in November of 2009 and the trunk used to pop open and rise fully open as it should. From my understanding the smaller silver springs pop the trunk and as it reaches a certain height, the gas struts take over and lift the trunk up and back.

This continued into June of this year and now the trunk pops, but will not fully rise open. I lubricated the rubber seal as not to allow the trunk to stick, but no luck. This was one of the features (seen in the VW video for the 2010 Jetta) that was really great. Holding my son in one arm with groceries in another, I didn't have to manual lift the trunk.

I called the dealership and service said it was weather related (wrong-worked fine in January and May), it need to be lubricated (wrong and I'm not settling for a temporary fix), or the rubber seal was sticking(nope-tried that already).

*I know VW issued TSB 55-05-02 a few years back on the trunk/spring issue with the
Jetta and Passat

Has anyone else has these issues with their 2009/2010 Jetta TDI. If so, please post as I would like to find out how the problem was resolved and if the dealership is going to fix this under warranty.

Thanks again for reading,

-CS

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have an Audi with the same issue (they use the same style of strut/hinge). New struts fixed it but in the winter, it's just too cold for them to work well. My Jetta with the same body style has never done auto-open but it's a 2006 and I bought it used recently. I haven't replaced the struts because it still supports the trunk lid open - the Audi had aged to the point where it wouldn't hold the boot open.

One possible solution is to lube the hinges. They could be too tight in which case you would have to wear them in to get some more play. However, if the dealer acknowledges that it should work then they should fix it as long as the car is under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 jetta here in the UK. Even a coating of rain drops on a cold day will stop the boot (trunk if you like) opening on it's own once "popped"
It very finely balanced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Two Mikes and Foxy

If I get it started by pulling up on it a bit, it will eventually lift itself up, but it takes forever (almost a full 30 seconds to a minute). I do think there is something wrong, so I'm setting up an appointment with my VW dealer next week.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Sorry this is an old thread that I've found while searching.

TSB 55-05-02

Subject: Rear Lid, Hinge(s), Binding
Model(s): Jetta 1999-2005, Passat Sedan 1997-2005
Group: 55
Number: 05-02
Date: Jun 10, 2005

Condition:
Rear lid hinge(s) binding, require high effort to open or close the rear lid.

Production:
Improved hinges can be identified by Part No: stamped on hinge mounting surface. Old version hinges: have suffix “Aâ€Â￾ New hinges have suffix “Bâ€Â￾.

Service:
Install both left and right hinges: Part No: 3B5 827 301B Left side 3B5 827 302B Right side

1 - 6 of 6 Posts