VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI (ALH)

I'm having trouble removing the T60 bolt on the selector gear while attempting a 5th gear swap. I'm following several "how-to's" that I have and I have done a search of my problem, but came up empty.

I have put the car into 1st gear and I have two large rocks pushing down on the brakes (I know, a little strange, but the wheels aren't moving, so it seems to be working). I have removed the selector lever and pins.

I cannot remove the T60 bolt on the selector gear! I've tried both my arm strength and an air impact wrench. The T60 bolt will not budge. I tried PB Blaster and heating the selector gear; still the T60 bolt will not budge. No, it's not a triple square bolt; I'm confident of that.

I read somewhere to put the car into 3rd gear, which I will try to do in a couple of nights when I can get back to working on the car. Am I supposed to remove the front circlip spring first? Before I try and put the car into 3rd gear, do I need to first re-install the selector lever and pins?

Any ideas would be appreciated. I would hate to have wasted my $$$ on the new 5th gear, though I suppose I could sell it. I don't want to do that!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IIRC, if you remove the circlip the circlip in the back is impossible to put back and verify it's correct since the gear blocks it. Remove the T60 bolt before you touch the circlip.

Try having a helper put the car in 1st gear, step on the brakes, and parking brake on. Then use a breaker bar on the bolt. No clue why it won't move because it should. This is my breaker bar - just a sturdy pipe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried tightening it a little just to break it loose? If the head is getting stripped then this will also use the other side of the face.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm really ticked off!

Nope, the long breaker bar is not working either. I tried 1st gear, 3rd gear, and 4th gear. In 1st and 3rd the gear just want to spin. In 4th there is no gear spin, but the T60 bolt still won't budge. In fact, I'm starting to ruin the teeth in the T60 bolt, where if it ever did come off it would need to be replaced.

WHY IS THIS BOLT ON SO TIGHT!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated! Every post I read about 5th gear swapping, folks are able to do this.

I'm either going to have to give up the idea of installing the 0.658 5th gear and try to either return or sell the parts, or get my local shop guy to do the job. I was trying to avoid the labor costs.

I just hope I didn't ruin my transmission trying to get this stupid bolt off. Unbelievable!! Errrrrr!!!!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any chance that the T60 bolts are opposite-threaded; meaning are they "righty-loosey" rather than "lefty-loosey"? There's nothing in the how-to's about that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like the frustration factor is taking over. If the car is driveable, put the wheel back and take a few days off to think about it. If the gear is spinning, have someone step on the brakes. That'll stop it and should give you enough torque with a breaker bar.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Sounds like the frustration factor is taking over. If the car is driveable, put the wheel back and take a few days off to think about it. If the gear is spinning, have someone step on the brakes. That'll stop it and should give you enough torque with a breaker bar.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking at this point too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I would come down and help but I'm busy now and the next 2 weeks. Besides, the problem is loosening a really tight bolt then I wouldn't add anything anyways. Thinking back, I did have a helper step on the brakes to loosen/tighten the bolt.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Failure

I had to give up. I followed the posted suggestions here and on TDI Club, and I got the gears to stop turning. However, I simply cannot get the T60 bolt off, even with a breaker bar and pipe (rather long). It just will not come off, and I am ruining the teeth on the T60 bolt head with the T60 socket. So, I cleaned everything up, put everything back on with a fresh gasket, and refilled with fluid.

I'll have to get my local German car shop Farnbacher Loles to do this job for me. If they can manage to get the T60 bolt off then I will need to have it replaced with a new one.

I'm very disappointed. :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts