VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Ya'll,

I just finished with the timing belt replacement on my 2006 Jetta TDI. I used the OEM VW Maintenance Manual and the 2005 (aka 2005.5) 2006 VW Jetta TDI timing belt replacement (1.9L BRM engine) article on this website. The article was far more helpful than the maintenance manual, and even highlights several mistakes in the manual itself. Thanks a million!

The only thing I'd like to add is a reference for the "triple square" bits used to remove the crankshaft pulley. I had never heard of such a bit, and an exhaustive search of local autoparts, tool distributors, and Sears turned up no one else that could give me a clue.

I finally found it, the formal name is "Serrated Wrench" for 12 point metric socket head screws.

The Napa part numbers are as follows:

8mm - SER2304 - $4.99
10mm - SER2305 - $5.49
12mm - SER2306 - $5.99

Thanks again and ya'll take care!

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
The only thing I'd like to add is a reference for the "triple square" bits used to remove the crankshaft pulley.

I finally found it, the formal name is "Serrated Wrench" for 12 point metric socket head screws.
Are you talking about Torx screws/bolts? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Are you talking about Torx screws/bolts? ;)
No, torx are 6 point like a star and the points are slightly concave. VW uses 12 point socket head bolts that are shaped like 3 overlapping squares, hence the triple square name. They are used mostly on the engine. They are called XZN bits in the wikipedia link. There's still time to edit the other post ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts