VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I completed a 750 mile road trip in my new Golf TDI. The car now has 2,000 miles.

No doubt, the TDI is a great cruiser; comfortable seats, SD music (never heard the same track twice for the whole trip), good acceleration for passing, relatively relaxed 2,600 rpm for 80 mph and low wind noise.

Since the MIL issue where the computer was re-flashed, everything has worked fine. I lowered the tire pressures to 35 from the recommended 38 and find the ride improved.

Three items I miss, and wish were available as options are; rain sensing wipers, push button start and a full power seat. Seems they are available in Germany, but not N.A. Many have opined that push button start is a waste of time, but I really like being able to keep the key in my pocket or briefcase and be able to open, lock or start the car without taking it out - especially nice when raining!

My calculated fuel consumption for the trip was 38.2 mpg and that included some town driving and a fair bit of crusing at 80-90 mph. On a day trip with cruising in the 60 mph range and some town driving, the computer was showing an average of 43.6 mpg. The computer seems accurate too, as it closely matched my calculated data.

Overall, I'm pleased with my choice of the TDI, it is comfortable, fun to drive and economical.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not bad. How far did you fill up the tank? Sometimes the pump can click off early and mess up the calculation. Some pumps tend to foam up the diesel more than others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I try to fill it the same each time; fill until the shut off operates then wait 15 seconds, and top off. This seems to get it full because I drove 502 miles on one tank, the gauge was below the 1/8th mark, not quite in the red, and it took 13.2 gallons to fill. The book says the tank is 14.9 capacity, and that about 1.9 gallons remain at the beginning of the red zone, so it seems I got it full.

During my trip I went through a lot of rain and noticed how easily the back window and whole rear of the car gets very dirty. Has anyone fitted mud flaps and did they help this issue?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hatches can get dirty from the air draft back there. That's the one thing I don't like but there's a wiper back there so I don't think it will be too bad. Maybe a spoiler will help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
During my trip I went through a lot of rain and noticed how easily the back window and whole rear of the car gets very dirty. Has anyone fitted mud flaps and did they help this issue?
Hi A8540TDI,

I have the (OEM) mud flaps, or splash guards, or whatever they are being called, and I don't think they make a bit of difference in regards to the back end getting dirty. I think they help more with tar and other debris from coming up on the lower sides behind the wheels. My last car (before my 2010 Golf TDI) was a 2000 Beetle, and its amazing how dirty the back window/end gets on the Golf compared to the Beetle. The Beetle didn't have a rear window wiper, and didn't really need it. The Golf definitely does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that information, I expect that the very short overhang of the Golf design contributes to the back spray. The wiper deals with it effectively with regards to vision, but frequent washing is necessary to keep the car looking good. A roof spoiler might help, anyone out there with experience?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the report ! FWIW, my TDI has rain sensing wipers...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You have a 2010 Golf TDI and it has rain sensing wipers? Do you mean your eyes and hands or an actual part on the car that detects rain and turns it on? If you don't have the large rear view mirror mount with the infrared sensor facing outside, maybe you have a water leak that is shorting something and causing the wipers to come on :)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have a 2010 Golf TDI and it has rain sensing wipers? Do you mean your eyes and hands or an actual part on the car that detects rain and turns it on? If you don't have the large rear view mirror mount with the infrared sensor facing outside, maybe you have a water leak that is shorting something and causing the wipers to come on :)?
LOL It was raining today on our way back from Annapolis...yea, I was talking out of my ass. The adjustment I was looking at is actually the variable speed, not rain sensing. I think that was reader error as I was going through the manual. That and Deja Vu....maybe my old A-3 had it ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
LOL It was raining today on our way back from Annapolis...yea, I was talking out of my ass. The adjustment I was looking at is actually the variable speed, not rain sensing. I think that was reader error as I was going through the manual. That and Deja Vu....maybe my old A-3 had it ?
If it was premium plus, probably.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Three items I miss, and wish were available as options are; rain sensing wipers, push button start and a full power seat. Seems they are available in Germany, but not N.A. Many have opined that push button start is a waste of time, but I really like being able to keep the key in my pocket or briefcase and be able to open, lock or start the car without taking it out - especially nice when raining!
I hear you on the push-button start. I really don't understand the point of keys any longer, at least not with our current available technology. And yes, there are *many* features available on the German versions that we cannot get over here...but I guess that's the bonus you get for living where they're made.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I hear you on the push-button start. I really don't understand the point of keys any longer, at least not with our current available technology.
I would like push button start too.
Switchblade-like key will have to do for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts