VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 vw jetta tdi (mfd 10.2006)-i need a new key, and don't want to pay the dealer (obviously). i've been doing a lot of reading, but everything is still a little cloudy...
i have an mk5-that means immobilizer 4 i think. i bought a used previously cut key from ebay ($25), but it doesn't have a new transponder in it. i also bought a blade that will be cut for my car ($20) from some dudes in the UK from a picture that i emailed them. i have one key that works, and i have vcds. so...
1. i've read that cars after 06.2006 have an encryption on the immobilizer, and even with the skc, you can't program them with vcds, but that you HAVE to take it to the dealer-anyone know anything about this?
2. IF you can program it with the skc (or some other way), anyone know where i can buy a new transponder?...or will i just have to pay the $15 for an ebay key head?
3. IF only the dealer can program the new transponder, can i just take the one that i have (old key transponder), and put it in some silicon on my steering column and it work for both keys (old one + ebay key)?
thanks in advance for the help...and i'm sorry if this info is somewhere else and i missed it...i've just read a lot of conflicting info-especially about #1. thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
I think you can do Key Matching and Immobilizer Adaptation with VCDS if you have the SKC as it says on page 33 of the manual but you need the dealer to find the SKC or find someone with VAG TACHO

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
1. I know post 2006 cars do, my guess is that the 06.2006 refers to model year 2007 since they start building the next year's cars around that time.
2. I know megamos sells a compatible transponder chip but I've never tried them. Please post a follow up if you find out exactly what model is required for your model year.
3. YES. That will work. The car can tell the difference between keys but if it's getting a valid signal it will think that it's the same key. In other words, it knows how many keys are programmed to it and each one has a different code.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks keith. my understanding is that since 2005, the vw dealers no longer have access to the skc since they switched over to the GEKO system. i also talked to some people with vag-tacho, but they said they can't get the skc from mkV cars like mine. i'm thinking about buying vag CAN commander (or visiting someone with it) to get my skc, but i'm still worried about the encryption aspect of the immobilizer/transponder. otherwise, i'll just bury my current transponder in the steering column...

...thanks chitty...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have vag commander and it worked on mine but I had to read another field because the "get skc" button didn't work. These sorts of aftermarket tools can be spotty but as long as you don't try to change the odometer or something, you won't brick the modules. Read the immo FAQ and there are some screenshots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what year did you do it on?-after 06.2006?...my understanding is that i can get the skc from vag can commander, but i'm still worried about encryption (i.e. even WITH the skc, i won't be able to program new transponder with vcds-have to go to the dealer).
in other news, i talked to an online seller of vw keys, and he's checking with his supplier to see if he can get transponder chips...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts