VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he friends! I'm looking for a bit of advice that I'm having trouble tracking down here and the other TDI forums.

Here's the problem. A few months ago I bought a 2011 MK6 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG with ~128k on the clock. Going into it I knew that I was going to have to pull the trans and replace the DMF because it was every so slightly starting to show signs of failure--the typical box of rocks sound. When I pulled it, it needed to be replaced, though judging by the wear, I probably could have gotten a bit more life out of it. However, having a DMF explode in my MK5 Jetta because I said "I could probably get a bit more life out of it" made me a lot more cautious this time around. The problem that I'm having is an undiagnosed rhythmic hum starting at about 30mph and progressively getting louder as I increase speed. The noise emanates from the front of the vehicle at it seems to be coming from the driver's side and I can also feel it through the throttle peddle. The sound is not metallic in nature, it sounds more like weird wind buffeting when you have just a rear window open, but quieter. The sound also continues with the engine off, in neutral, and coasting at speed At first I thought this was a typical wheel bearing issue, but when I pulled the wheels and hubs from the front, I couldn't find any signs of wear. They're not brand new, but no signs of play. I compared side to side to use the other as a reference. Additionally, theres no change in sound when I load either side. So the sound doesn't appear to be coming from the bearings. Then I thought that it may be just my snow tires that'd I'd not swapped for summers because we were getting a few nasty snowstorms into late April here (the frozen tundra of NE Wisconsin). So I swapped for summer tires and no noise change. If anything the sound got a lot more pronounced because my summer tires are substantially quieter because of the difference in lug and tread design. Then I started messing with under body panels to see if wind was just catching a lose panel, and even with all the underbody panels off, the noise was still there. I know its not the sound that CV's usually make when they fail because theres no ticking, and when I swapped the DMF, I made sure to check the CV's, which seemed in perfect condition.

I would like to believe, after eliminating the above, that its something inside the transmission--either the mechatronic or who really knows what. I'm far less concerned about the individual component because if I've got to pull the trans, im just going to replace the entire thing and teach myself how to rebuild the one that comes out. Not much use in having a spare, but one of the few things I've never built or rebuilt was a transmission, so its time to learn, especially when a used one and a new metatronic are about the same price.

While the above is a problem, the actual problem I have is installation protocol. I already know I can pull the trans, so thats not an issue. The issue is what do I need to do when the new one goes in. I'm obviously going to be putting a new used trans with the same MSV code back in, but I seriously doubt im going to just be able to throw it in, plug what needs to be plugged in, and go.... or will I? I honestly have no clue.

Next bit. I do not have VCDS. I, however, do have a next gen OBDeleven with pro unlocked paired with an iPhone, which can perform the same functions slightly differently. So those that know what's going on... Is there some resource im just not finding with this detailed here in some obscure post? If not, what do I need to do in order to get a replacement for the same trans in?

That for any help you can provide!

·
Premium Member
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
16 Posts
Did you figure this out? I don't have anything to add except Hello WI! I'm in SE WI. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts