VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the fluid in my daughters 06 TDI Jetta, DSG tranny and it looked like "NEW" fluid after 50k miles. Is this normal? Should the interval be longer?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I wouldn't extend the interval. The old fluid I saw wasn't horrible but it was definitely used and some people report smoother shifting after changing the fluid.

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
Transmission fluid will always look like new because there are no carbon contaminates as with engine oil.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I am told this fluid can last to 100,000 before needing a change.
And who told you this? Sure, it CAN last... right up until the transmission needs to be rebuilt... There's a reason why VW backed down to a 40,000 mile interval - and it doesn't necessarily have to do with doing their dealers a favor by getting them extra work...

As for the fluid "looking" like new... old adage: looks can be deceiving... why don't you send it out for analysis, together with a sample of new fluid...

Yuri

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agree that "looks can be deceiving" with regards to transmission fluid. If you are all the way to a color change on the transmission fluid you are way past due.

Renewing the fluid is just one part of the equation, the filter renewal is another major factor. When I was an automatic transmission tech (over 20+ years ago) most shift-quality or late-shift problems/complaints were cleared with a filter renewal. I must caveat that with these transmissions were pre-computer controlled solenoid shifts, and they relied on line pressure and throttle valve modulators to control shift-quality and shift timing.

However, the shift-quality affect will be the same on a modern computer controlled solenoid shifted transmission. When a filter becomes clogged and the available fluid volume is lost due to the restriction at the filter, the accumulators (controls the shift quality) and the clutches don't perform as designed and the shift quality suffers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts