VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Jetta with about 130K.
I asked the dealer about replacing the transmission oil and they said I should replace it if I plan on keeping the car. The service rep. I spoke with mentioned that the transmission also has a filter that needs to be replaced. He said there is a pan underneath the transmission that needs to be dropped and the filter is in there, a flat filter.
I don't see any pan under the transmission. The only place I could think of is on the side of the transmission facing the wheel there is a black cover.

Thanks you in advanced.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you have a manual transmission then there is no filter and there is no pan. Just drain it out of one hole and fill it up through another. 130k isn't bad but it's cheap and should help with smoother shifting.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Look through the FAQ links at the top of the forum: Changing the transmission gear oil is as easy as changing the engine oil. See this link:

http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/manual_transmission_fluid_change.htm

The black cover on the end of the transmission is covering the gears inside the transmission. Don't remove it.

Since you don't see a pan under the transmission I know you don't have an auto, only autos have filters and pans.

If you live in a warmer climate OEM gear oil is a good choice, I live in a colder climate so I use redline MTL. I've found that it results in smoother shifting. Some people like half redline MTL, half redline MT-90. I didn't like royal purple or the OEM stuff. Make sure you use a GL-4 gear oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes for what I have seen this should be easy.
I do live in a cold environment so I'll make sure to get the oil you suggested.

Thank you much for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts