VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a -how to- take the tranny out of a TDI car, sorry if I missed it, I must be blind, does anyone know where it is? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added one in the mk4 writeups "how to" list in 1000q but didn't add it to the forum yet. Edit: it's been added.

It's an external link to the vortex and is a pretty good writeup. Here is a direct link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2703042

Thanks chitty, I have to prepared myself to do this job, my poor stock clutch still holding and doing its job fine, but with the mods that I have anything can happen in a jiffy.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'll mirror when I get the time since many writeups on the vortex are missing their pictures. The picture host moves, goes down, etc. If you have any pictures or notes that you would like to contribute, I'll add them.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Thanks chitty, I have to prepared myself to do this job, my poor stock clutch still holding and doing its job fine, but with the mods that I have anything can happen in a jiffy.
I just finished mine a few hours ago. I put in the Valeo G60/VR6 clutch. It wasn't too bad of a job, hardest part was getting the transmission back up into the car. Unfortunately the new clutch slips, I think I under spec'd it. Guess I get to do it all again. I'm not doing anything until spring at least.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Yes but also remember that if you're gentle on the gas and harder at the top RPM, it's easier on the clutch. This is due to load and stress on the clutch and because a diesel has all the torque at the bottom.

And the early clutches were stronger than the later clutches, and some cars just hold more power.

veget8 said:
I just finished mine a few hours ago. I put in the Valeo G60/VR6 clutch. It wasn't too bad of a job, hardest part was getting the transmission back up into the car. Unfortunately the new clutch slips, I think I under spec'd it. Guess I get to do it all again. I'm not doing anything until spring at least.
Let it break in first!!! A new clutch can slip. Some people will say that as long as you're not riding the clutch it won't slip, this is a lie. Let it break in for 500-1000 miles with gentle stop-go, don't excessively slip it, and it should hold more power.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Yes but also remember that if you're gentle on the gas and harder at the top RPM, it's easier on the clutch. This is due to load and stress on the clutch and because a diesel has all the torque at the bottom.

Let it break in first!!! A new clutch can slip. Some people will say that as long as you're not riding the clutch it won't slip, this is a lie. Let it break in for 500-1000 miles with gentle stop-go, don't excessively slip it, and it should hold more power.
2nd,^^^. If you are too hard on a brand new clutch, especially at the bottom of the rpm range, it can slip. Do you have an oil leak? Did you wipe off any oil or grease from the clutch with rubbing alcohol or no residue brake cleaner? Electrical parts cleaner works too. Don't shift too low otherwise you are putting more torque through the clutch. Use more Hp, less torque, don't lug the engine or else it puts more stress on the clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts