VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my VW a month ago (as I mentioned here before) and when I was reading about the TPMS in the feature set, I assumed it was like in the GM cars I had rented before, where you can see each individual tire's pressure. But of course it's not that simple. I see no option in the MFI for that or in the user's manual. Looks like it only pops up if there are warnings.

Anyone know if there's anyway to get this info at all? I know you're supposed to check tire pressure pretty regularly, but I'm lazy and hate bending down to take a pressure reading. If the sensor's are there, they have to be more accurate than what I could read with my gauge anyway.

For those interested, I found this good post from a Google search. Good technical details from a Phaeton's and Touareg's TPMS. I'm guessing the Golf's system can't be that different... but maybe I'm wrong.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1817987

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
From what I understand you cannot. Maybe it's possible to get this reading through VCDS but I don't know. The fiscon bluetooth module from kufatec.com also displays gauges like psi, oil temp, and a few more, if it's possible to display these values through VCDS, in theory, it's possilbe for an aftermarket module to display these values on the MFD. I don't believe it has this funciton but you could write them and request it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using the search function, but haven't stumbled across an answer to the OP's question. Has anyone figured out a way to get a real-time tire pressure reading from the factory TPMS sensors?

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
I don't think its worth making it full TPMS as the ABS system senses a 3psi drop in any tyre.

Thats something I haven't checked for tyre pressure in VCDS.

I'm sure it must be possible to upgrade to full TPMS but it will cost you £70 each for the 4 tyre pressure sensors so is it worth it? Glitches to occur with the full system.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think its worth making it full TPMS as the ABS system senses a 3psi drop in any tyre.

Thats something I haven't checked for tyre pressure in VCDS.

I'm sure it must be possible to upgrade to full TPMS but it will cost you £70 each for the 4 tyre pressure sensors so is it worth it? Glitches to occur with the full system.
Keith, not sure where this came from...no one here has suggested adding a direct TPMS system to a car that uses an indirect TPMS (2011 or newer). I'd say that I'd agree with you though, if someone was looking to add it, its definitely not worth it.

As far as the original post, I will take this opportunity to add that with the indirect ABS based TPMS system, you definitely would not be able to view individual tire pressures even with VCDS, because the indirect system doesn't actually read tire pressures, it just compares tire rotational speed against a baseline that you set for that wheel whenever you reset it. It doesn't actually know how much air is in the tire, and it may not very accurate/consistent. It can only do its job when the car is moving. If the tire goes flat while the car is sitting, say overnight, it will take several miles of driving for the indirect system to determine that the tire pressure is below par. Its most reliable to warn you of a large decrease in pressure over time.

The direct system with wheel sensors can tell you the specific tire pressures and temperatures with VCDS interface connected, but you have to figure out which wheel is which, as they're numbered 1,2,3,4 (in order of programming) and the radio doesn't know which one is where. At this time there is no way for the end user to readily incorporate tire pressures into the MFD, however if VW had wanted to make this information available on the screen, they easily could have done so at the factory. Shame on them for depriving us of this useful feature!!

Wow this thread is old!

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Surely when you have checked the tyre pressure why would you want to see the pressures as you were driving along, all you need to know if one or more tyre has lost any pressure which it does?

Providing the indirect TPMS works effectively where is your problem with it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Keith, I have no issues with the indirect system, as I am using it now with my snow wheels and tires. It is not nearly as responsive as the direct system, but it does the job. In the spring, I'll swap in my summer wheels and go back to the direct system.

Regarding viewing tire pressures...To me, if you're going to have a direct system installed that's capable of reading tire pressures and temps, why not allow these pressures to be displayed. That way, if I see that one tire has dropped a couple of PSI, I can air it up before it becomes a problem. Its especially helpful before and during long trip, and you wouldn't have to carry a tire pressure gauge.

All I'm saying is, if the functionality is there (and it is, in this case) why wouldn't VW allow us to see those pressures on the screen like sooooooo many other cars do. It really doesn't make sense. But no matter how we feel about it, they didn't make this possible. Its a shame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
golfTDI1,

You understand my sentiments exactly. Since I already have the actual factory sensors installed in my 2010 JSW, it is frustrating that I cannot conveniently get real-time readings displayed on the MFD or Nav.

I am seriously considering purchasing the Orange Electronic P409S TPMS system for this car and removing the factory sensors. I've had one installed in my M3 for several years and been extremely pleased with it. The entire system (4 sensors and display) can be found for less than $140.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to preface the following comments by stating that, in general, I love my TDI. With that in mind...

I'm not surprised that the sensor-based system doesn't show tire pressures. The Germans treat U.S. owners like we're morons. Look at the "owner's manuals" they give us. It's obvious that they figure the less information we have, the better off we are.

I, for one, have lots of issues with worthless ABS-based TPMS system in my '11 Golf. I had a flat tire recently. With three people in the car, and traveling at highway speed, the car began to "buzz" quite loudly. Due to traffic, etc., it took a few minutes to find a place to pull over. While still driving, the "buzzing" turned into a loud "flapping" sound that had me thinking that perhaps a cover or belly pan had come loose, since the car was still driving perfectly, with no ride, handling, or vibration issues at all (and no TPMS warning). After about five minutes of this, I finally reached a place where it was safe to pull over and turn off the main road. The car was slowed down to around 5 mph or so before the sidewall of the right rear tire finally started flopping seriously, and the TPMS light finally came on! Are they kidding? How is this even possible? My tires are not run flats, they're conventional summer grand touring tires. On any kind of a slow leak, TPMS is supposed to warn you to pull over to check your tire pressures before anyone can get hurt. My tire was in such dire shape that it was practically yodeling (it was loud enough inside the car that we were almost shouting at each other), yet my ABS-based TPMS was totally clueless. So much for "3psi sensitivity". Inspection revealed that a shard of metal had intruded right at the junction of the tread and the sidewall, so the tire was totaled.

My previous car was an '04 R32. On the forums there had been such an uproar about flat tires, dented rims, etc., coming from folks who had obeyed VW's ass-backward tire inflation recommendations for that car, that I installed an after market SmarTire TPMS. It would show real-time individual tire pressures and temperatures, as well as perform all sorts of interesting programmable analyses. When I traded that car in on this one, I removed the TPMS and sensors from it to use on some future car. After realizing that those sensors (and their batteries) were now 6 years old, I decided not to have them installed on the new Golf for fear of having to replace them in the near future as their batteries began to die out. That SmarTire system was excellent, and obviously, I now really miss it. I bought it from TireRack, but they no longer carry it. For the time being, I'm stuck with this useless VW setup until I can find (and afford) a new aftermarket sensor-based system that actually works.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Well I find that unusual Bob that the tyre had deflated that much before the light came on.

As for the 3psi sensitivity I can only say what happened to me over the past 9 months. I had a slow leak somewhere and every 4-5 weeks the light would come on. I checked the pressures and one of the rears had lost 3psi, top it up and press the SET button ok for another 4-5 weeks. It was the same 3psi drop until a couple of months ago and it dropped 7psi before the light came on and that was after only 2 weeks. I took the wheel of and check it there was a very small 10mm rusty tin tack inside the tread. I repaired it and it hasn't come on since.

I recon thats the best £35 I've spent on an addition.

You could always goto the dealer and have them check why it didn't light up and maybe get a new tyre out of them?

·
Registered
308 Posts
ok,

this is the thing...the abs system will only warn you of a very slow leak over time. If it takes weeks for the tires to lose a few psi during consistent driving and loading of the vehicle then you will see a light. It is in no way unusual that Bob had experienced a total collapse of the tire before the light finally came on. The abs system needs enough time to determine that a difference in speed between all the wheels is due to a tire losing air and not a lack of traction or other factor. If it happens all within a few minutes you'll definitely not have a warning.

this is why I said previous that its not as sensitive as the direct system...and even the direct system is not quick enough to detect some rapid losses of air before it affects the handling of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Bentley says that the direct, bluetooth TPMS sensors only set off the warning light when the pressure drops by 7 PSI, down to 32 from 39 (door sticker recommended) on the 2010 Golf TDI, for example.

So, if the IP light is on, you are down 7 PSI from whatever your TPMS sensor is set at baseline.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the direct TPMS in my Golf. I've gone into VCDS and raised the values in adaptation to provide more warning on a low tire. In the example above, 32 PSI is much lower than when I'd like to receive my first warning.

I think I set them at 2.9 bar which is 42 PSI, which should give me warning around 35 PSI.

RossTech has a wiki on this.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the direct TPMS in my Golf. I've gone into VCDS and raised the values in adaptation to provide more warning on a low tire. In the example above, 32 PSI is much lower than when I'd like to receive my first warning.

I think I set them at 2.9 bar which is 42 PSI, which should give me warning around 35 PSI.

RossTech has a wiki on this.
I did the same with mine, for the same reason.

So your using 42psi are you, is that what it says on the fuel flap?

Mine says 36psi.
Keith, he is saying that he is running the tires at the recommended psi which is 38, not 36 as you said...but he has adjusted the module through vcds to accept 42 as the normal pressure because we know that the direct system triggers the light at around a 7psi loss, and that way he'd get the warning sooner. I've done this as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Exactly.

Tires run at 38. TPMS set at 42. I should get a warning if a tire goes below 35.

I think I did this after a slow leak in one of the tires. The tire was visually low, yet no warning.

FWIW, our tire pressure recommendations are on the left side B pillar, not the fuel flap.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Keith, he is saying that he is running the tires at the recommended psi which is 38, not 36 .
My fuel flaps say 36psi well its in bar bit I've converted it. So why would he set his to 42psi? Actually pressure on the fuel flap for normal running says 2.4bar which is 34.8psi but I use 36psi. loaded is Front 2.6bar - 37.7psi, Rear 3.0bar - 43.5psi.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-conversion-utility-4075/

Yes you can adjust the TMPS monitoring pressure with VCDS. Faulty TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensor) flashing light fix or TPMS disable on mk6 VW Golf TDI

·
Registered
308 Posts
My fuel flaps say 36psi well its in bar bit I've converted it. So why would he set his to 42psi? Actually pressure on the fuel flap for normal running says 2.4bar which is 34.8psi but I use 36psi. loaded is Front 2.6bar - 37.7psi, Rear 3.0bar - 43.5psi.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-conversion-utility-4075/

Yes you can adjust the TMPS monitoring pressure with VCDS. Faulty TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensor) flashing light fix or TPMS disable on mk6 VW Golf TDI
Once again, setting the pressure psi higher will give you a warning sooner than the -7psi sensitivity of the direct system...42psi-7psi=35psi (warning light will come on)

INSTEAD OF:

38psi-7psi=31psi (warning light will come on)

:bangshead

All I know is that on the sticker on the B-pillar in my car it says that the recommended front and rear loaded pressure is 38psi...

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
I thought that if you set the pressure with VCDS to 42psi the warning will only show at 42psi which is too high?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts