VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad only 1480 miles and I got a flashing then solid after one minute TPMS light. Checked all the tire pressures including the spare and went to max psi but no change. The dummy book says TPMS is malfunctioning and needs to go into dealer to be fixed. What crap, this is my first VW and I was really hoping they upgraded their quality, it isn't right to only be able to drive a brand new car for roughly 1500 miles and have to go back to the dealer for a faulty part. Hopefully they can fit me in this coming week.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I saw someone else complain about this. Did you have the TPMS recall done? If the tire pressure is good then there is a setting that has to be changed. Evidently they were set too high so they change some code to lower the setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw someone else complain about this. Did you have the TPMS recall done? If the tire pressure is good then there is a setting that has to be changed. Evidently they were set too high so they change some code to lower the setting.
I won't know until next week, but I set all the tires at 50 psi to see if it was actually a pressure issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had this happen this weekend (4500 miles). Dealer flashed and reset the TPMS system and all has been well. (other than the clunking noise that is)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think 50 psi is too high. Never set the tires higher than the maximum cold pressure listed on the side of the tire.
Really you think 50 is too high? lol What is the maximum cold pressure on the tire say? You really read into what was written. The 50 psi is the max pressure rating on the tire and as I wrote earlier the tires where set there to see if it was a setting issue which it was not.

So I took it to the dealer...
It was funny, on the phone it was going to be a simple in and out thing. When I got there they checked the air pressure and then said I would need to make an appointment to have the computer set. After explaining (DUH) that is why I phoned in the first place they checked the computer and discovered that the settings where incorrect but why did it take 1500 miles for it to do this? Poor quality or intentional dealer warrantee money?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sad only 1480 miles and I got a flashing then solid after one minute TPMS light. Checked all the tire pressures including the spare and went to max psi but no change. The dummy book says TPMS is malfunctioning and needs to go into dealer to be fixed. What crap, this is my first VW and I was really hoping they upgraded their quality, it isn't right to only be able to drive a brand new car for roughly 1500 miles and have to go back to the dealer for a faulty part. Hopefully they can fit me in this coming week.
MY 2010 did the same at 7000, there is a service bulletin the dealer should have, it involves resetting each tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Really you think 50 is too high? lol What is the maximum cold pressure on the tire say? You really read into what was written. The 50 psi is the max pressure rating on the tire and as I wrote earlier the tires where set there to see if it was a setting issue which it was not.

So I took it to the dealer...
It was funny, on the phone it was going to be a simple in and out thing. When I got there they checked the air pressure and then said I would need to make an appointment to have the computer set. After explaining (DUH) that is why I phoned in the first place they checked the computer and discovered that the settings where incorrect but why did it take 1500 miles for it to do this? Poor quality or intentional dealer warrantee money?
Dealer incompetence. Here is a writeup I had been working on to address this problem. Finished today just for you. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/tpms-flashing-light-vw.htm

I've heard that the TPMS coding is incorrect but I've also heard that the module gets reflashed. I know there was an ECU reflash for the o2 sensor so I'm not sure if people were confused or were told something else by the dealer.

In any case, what happens is the sensor gets reset to a high value that is incorrect. You have to change it back down to the correct value. Not sure what's causing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, It looks like mine was just opened a few days ago. W-RVUTB 97T2/YW Software Update Body Control Module (BCM)

It only applies to the Golf/Gti models in the US. The Jetta uses a completely different (5K0) BCM. 97 10 08 (August 13, 2010 - 2024217) refers to coding, adaptation and the BCM update programming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just brought in my car for its 90 free check up and they automatically did the software update on the BCM that Dana mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts