VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took her Toyota Corolla to Haley, the dealer where we bought it in 2007 to have a recall to the engine control module corrected. They had the car for about 20 minutes when they called us to the service desk. They said they were correcting the recall problem, but had found several other things that they suggest we have them fix. They are as follows:
1. Replace serpentine belt
2. Change oil and filter
3 replace cabin air filter
4 remove carbon from intake at air throttle and
5 clean corrosion from battery terminal.

I agreed to items 1 and 2. They wanted $42.00 to replace the cabin air filter, $94.00 to clean carbon from intake, and $44.00 to clean corrosion from battery terminal. :BS

I bought a new cabin air filter and installed in a few minutes, $14.00. Removed the air intake rubber hose from the throttle mechanism and found it to be clean. It would not pass a white glove test, but nothing more. No buildup.

I cleaned the battery terminal with baking soda and water, greased the clamp bolts, then sprayed with corrosion inhibitor.

This was, as I said, Haley Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Chevrolet in Farmville, VA.
So far my experience with Terry VW is much much better than this blatant attempt at charging us for work that was not needed, and overcharging for work that was. Beware,

Frog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cleaning the throttle plate is not the intake piping it is cleaning the back side of the throttle plate assembly and the passages that control the idle bleed. Most times it is quickly done by removing it and cleaning it, new gasket or seal rings.
The battery connections you want to remove them clean them and coat with a little dielectric grease.
Just a thought!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My son also has a 2007 Corolla that he bought Toyota Certified used with 11k miles on it and got like a dozen or so free oil changes thrown in with the purchase. We all know why the dealer gives the free oil changes.:eek

At about the 40k oil change service, the dealer told him the car needed a serpentine belt as it was starting to fray / crack, transmission fluid looked dark and should be changed, and front brake pads needed changed soon. Transmission fluid change is required at 60k miles. I inspected the serpentine belt, transmission fluid, and brakes and all were fine. I don't recall the dealer quoted prices but IIRC, all were in the $90 to $175 range.

Recently, at around 60k miles we bought a serpentine belt ($25) and transmission filter kit / fluid ($35) and did the services ourselves in a little over one hour. There was still nothing wrong with the old serpentine belt - no glazing, fraying or cracks anywhere but for $25 we changed it. The brake pads still have plenty of life.

I guess the bottom line: Toyota dealers are no different than any other dealer - they all try to sell services that aren't needed at high profit margins.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts