VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me to resolve my problem. I have a 2006 Touran 1.9 TDi. When I start it in the (+- -4 to 7 degrees celcuis) morning all seems fine. Only when I start driving up to 2000 rpm it feels like it's misfiring. Then it starts feeling as if there is no power, like no fuel are getting through. After it warms up a bit, on the gauge above 50 to 60 degrees there’s power. When the motor reaches about 90 degrees working temperature the idling are unstable again feeling like misfiring, but driving is fine. I did change the glow plugs without any success.

I'm getting the feeling it must be injectors or the seal on the injectors that needs to be replaced.
I would like to do it myself and need some instructions on how to do it and if this is going to solve my problem.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You already figured this out, but it has nothing to do with the glow plugs.

First, check error codes, this can help guide you to where the problem may be. How long as this problem been present? It's a pumpe duse engine right? What is your engine code?

It could be a fueling problem or sensor problem. If the injector seals were leaking you might have fuel in the engine oil. When was the fuel filter last changed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a way to check the error codes. I did get an emissions alarm on the console this morning.
The problem started about 4000km back when the winter started. 2 months.
Yes, it must be a pumpe duse engine. Engine code BKC A02659.
The fuel filter was changed on 130000km and on the 145000km services , currently on 148000km.

Regards
Pieter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a way to check the error codes. I did get an emissions alarm on the console this morning.
The fuel filter was changed on 130000km and on the 145000km services , currently on 148000km.

Regards
Pieter

Regards
Pieter

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, first get the error codes. Any garage that has an OBD2 reader can get them for you. If you don't do this, you're wasting time and money trying to fix it. If the car is trying to tell you something you should listen. There may be error codes even if there is no check engine light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, first get the error codes. Any garage that has an OBD2 reader can get them for you. If you don't do this, you're wasting time and money trying to fix it. If the car is trying to tell you something you should listen. There may be error codes even if there is no check engine light.
At last I've got the error code's.
16685/P0301/000769 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
18074/P1666 - Valve for Pump - Jet: Cylinder 1 (N240): Electrical Malfunction
My first idea is "injectors" but this is very costly about R8000($1000) per injector(must replace 4 ).

Is there some ideas on what may be the problem as I've also read about harness and sensor problems on other forums.
The fault is only there on cold start, until the engine is warm, then only a little bit of uneven idling.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18074/P1666

Possible Symptoms

• Irregular rpm
Possible Causes

• Wiring and/or connections to/from the Valve for Pump Jet
  • Valve for Pump Jet
Possible Solutions

• Check wiring and Check / Clean all connections
  • Replace the cable-tree to/from all the Valves for Pump Jet
  • Replace Valve for Pump Jet (replace them all !)
Special Notes

• The ECU checks the Begin of Injection Period (BIP) by sending a very small amount of current (less than 0.0001 A ) through each injector. Because the current is so small, any extra resistance in the wiring due to damage or corrosion can cause this fault. Before replacing injectors, replace the wiring harness first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,

I've also measured the voltages on the GP harness last night. With the harness diconnected from all the GP's I'm measuring 6 Volt when the ignition is switched on, is this not suppose to be 12Volt?

Thanks alot for all the help.
Interesting result from a test I have done.
On measuring the voltage on the the harness to the GP's I onlly got 6Volts when turning the ignition on and also after I have started the engine.
I disconnected the Temperature sensor and suddenly got 12V on the same test.
I will do some tests tomorrow on the cold engine as it was still hot from me driving back home.

Regards,

Pieter

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I believe the older glow plugs would measure 12v. You have a PD engine and while I don't know the specifics of your model, it may 7v glow plugs. The ones on PD engines in the US are 7V. I believe the PD glow plug relay has a pulse width modulation output which can reduce the voltage down as well. I can tell you it has nothing to do with uneven idling when warm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At last I got the problem. I took it to another garage who put a Bocsh machine on. The error codes we got there show the Glow Plug short circuit and a combustion fault on cylinder one.

I had a look at the harness and found that the plug to GP1 was halfway out, check the harness for short circuits, nothing found.

Reinserted the harness close everything up, the fault is gone now.

Being driving for a week now. No fault 100%.

Thanks for all the inputs, excellent site

1 - 12 of 12 Posts