VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I have a deep scratch on my 2010 JSW and bought the Quixx scratch remover kit. Consumer Reports says it really works. Quixx says say if it is deep and you can feel it with your finger nail to use touch up paint then clear coat and then, wet sand with 3000 grit paper the excess clear coat and then use the quixx 2 step process.

In any event I ordered touch up paint for my white gold 2010 JSW color code LR7L. The dealer gave me silver leaf metallic code LSTR7L which they swear is the same color but i cannot find silver leaf anywhere on the net except the UK Jetta.

Questions: Is it the same color? What is the ST mean in the code?
Second it looks like after applying the base coat that the color is off and did not totally fill the scratch. Should I do a second application before the clear coat or is one base coat enough. How long does touch paint need to dry before a second application or the clear coat. Thanks for your anticipated help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's been wetsanded and polished I would not use any touch up paint.

Is it down to the primer? In other words, can you see a different color paint under the scratch? touch up paint only needs a few hours. Don't use a big blob, use a wire to apply it in fine strips. The brush that comes with the bottle is useless, you might as wel paint your fingernails with it.

According to what I can find on google itwhite gold and silver leaf is the same.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just go to a body shop and they'll color match to the car. If you ask nice, they'll even do it for free. Use a fine brush to fill in the scratch, leave a dip though. Give it a day or two to dry and then apply the clear coat the same way in a little bump. Then sand with 3k grit, use polishing compound, followed by paint glaze. You'll never even be able to tell.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
The colour code should be listed in the 6th line down on the Options Sticker stuck to the first page of the service schedule. The other half of this sticker is on the boot floor or on the side of the spare wheel well.

Line 1 - VIN number - WVWZZZ1KZAW******
Line 2 - another number - 5K1 88L
Line 3 - Model - GOLF 2.0 GTD
Line 4 - Engine power unit - 125KW fTDI M6F
Line 5 - Engine code - CBBB
Line 6 - Paint code - LD5Q

Mine says LD5Q which is Shadow Blue.

If you want to know what the other numbers mean in the Options Sticker write them down in a file and copy and paste into VW/Audi/Seat/Å koda Option Codes Decoder, seperate each one with ;

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Touch up paint

Thanks Chitty and all.

The scratch was deep enough that it looked white against the color of the car. Do I need two coats of touch up? Do I need filler?

Keith what do you mean by leaving a dip?

If the color is off is it possible that I have not shaken the paint tube enough?

thanks all!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's really thick you could overfill it so that there is a ridge, then polish it down flat. If it's just a thin scratch just fill it in as much as possible and I would call it a day. Touch up repairs often do look a little different, it could be because you are seeing the edges.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I scratched some paint off on the door handle, by hitting it against a metal pole. What can be done in this case? The color is candy white.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Personally I'd just touch up and live with it.

If you want to DIY respray, it's warm enough right now so that if you remove it and repaint it w/spray can the paint will flow correctly. Just wait for warm day and keep spray can far away from anything you don't want overspray on. sand it down to smooth it out and make paint stick, clean all grease and dust, spray. You can even add clear if your paint calls for it. Then polish to remove the rough texture or just leave it alone if it's not bad.

A

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Where could I buy the paint? How do I know if I need to add clear?
I imagine the dealer has it, what would it cost to either buy the paint from him or have him do it? The area I need to take are of is 1/4x1/2 in. - not big, but still...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Add clear if paint calls for it, this is probably if you use a spray can. Some spray cans are single step paints. touch up paints are pretty much all single step.

This all depends on how much you want it to look like new and if plastic is gouged. I can tell you it's rare for dealer to do any kind of body work, they outsource this stuff to body shop.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Keith what do you mean by leaving a dip?
Sorry if this is an old thread but I've never said anything about paint leaving a dip, where have you read that? If the bodywork has been knocked then it could leave an impression\dip which you would have to fill if you can't get behind to push it out.

You can buy the VW touch up pots of paint they come with a bottle of the colour and a bottle of the clear coat.

VAG Paint

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the link! Too bad they don't ship to the US, but I found the same one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170807828555 It says for MK5, but I guess it is good for MK6 too.
It says it includes paint and a pot of clear laquer. How do I know whether or not I need the laquer?
I had also called the dealer, and he sells it for $5 more.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Well these touch up pots are for minor paint damage like stone chips. I've touch up the odd stone chip but I've never used the clear coat there isn't alot of point to me. Like alot of manufacturers now they mostly used water based paints so its like painting your car with emmulsion paint. :nana2: The clear coat would be an advantage on larger areas to seal the paint.

When I picked my car up 2 years ago I asked about these touch up pots and they gave me one, The twin pack of paint that is. ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Keithuk,
Do you think it will work in my case? I have a chip on the front passenger door handle 5x7mm. The chip is black, meaning all of the white paint in that area fell off. Should I just try the touch-up and see if it works, or should I do something else instead?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I received the genuine VW touch up paint, which has two bottles - the paint itself and the clear coat. What about a primer, is it needed? The cap of the paint bottle has some kind of a small red plastic tool with metal tip, like a small metal brush. What's that for? The instructions are in German, so I can't figure out how to use it properly. Has anyone used this paint before? If so, please, tell me how to use it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought the touch-up paint and applied it with the clear. While the colour is matched, the area where the paint was applied is different from the rest of the surface around it. It is not as smooth, and you can see the edges, when you look closer. I read that people recommend a 2000 grit sand paper, then polishing and buffing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts