VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to car and driver, they hear that the Touareg V8 TDI is coming to NA as the Touareg R. What I want to know is, what is "they hear"?

"The Audi-engineered, 340-hp, 4.2-liter diesel V-8 diesel. That TDI is available in the European Touareg, but it isn’t likely to come here in that spec. Instead, we hear this engine will be fortified for use in the upcoming Touareg R, and our suspicion is that output will be somewhere close to 380 hp. It will put every other diesel in this category to shame—with the exception of Audi’s titanic, 500-hp, 6.0-liter twelve-cylinder, which powers the €130,000-plus Q7 V-12 TDI. But that monstrous Audi isn’t for sale here, and so the VW will rule the diesel-UV roost in the U.S.

Outside, the Touareg R will be distinguished from its lesser brethren by large air intakes, spoilers, and unique trim, and it will likely differ from the regular Touareg even more than our somewhat conservative rendering suggests. Expect the Touareg R to land on our shores as a 2013 model sometime in 2012."

The full article:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswagen-touareg-r-rendered-will-use-diesel-v8-likely-hit-u-s-by-2012/

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I am somewhat skeptical but then again, they brought over that V10 TDI beast so who knows. If I were VW I'd concentrate my resources on the volume products like the Jetta, Golf, and Passat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My understanding is that the V8TDI will not and cannot meet the current North American emissions standards, nor the upcoming 2012 European standards, so the engine as it now exists will be discontinued.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts