VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my 2006 BRM Jetta for 6 months now, I’ve put 7500 miles on it. It had a vibration at highway speeds and was cupping the inside of the rear tires, but drove very straight. So I finally brought it in for an alignment and got new, balanced tires.

after the alignment, the vibration is gone and it drives straight just cruising, but now it torque steers pretty noticeably on the highway when accelerating or pulling up a hill. Pulls to the right. This is a stock 100 hp engine, 5 speed manual.

I think something must be wrong for it to be torque steering with only 100 hp. Should I start with replacing motor mounts and dog bone mount? Or maybe control arm bushings? I also read that Vcds has torque steer compensation? Or did the shop just give me a bad alignment?

I need to do something about it, as it is very disconcerting when it pulls on the highway, especially on slick roads.

I appreciate any input anybody has!

Sky Car Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well guys, I jacked up my car today to take a look at everything underneath the front end, and guess what I find! The drivers side control arm pivot bolt is ridiculously loose, backed out like 1/2”. So the shop who did the alignment never tightened the bolt! I put 300 miles on the car this week, i can’t believe it didn’t come all the way out, I really got lucky.

needless to say, I’m pretty pissed at the shop that did the alignment. It chewed up the bushing pretty good driving with it so loose, but I think with a new bushing and an alignment (from another shop I think) I should be good. Im just really glad I took a look at it when I did.

I do pretty much all of my own work on my car, and I take it to a shop once just once to get tires balanced and an alignment, and this is what I get. Im going to have to go back there this week and see if I can get my money back.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Tire cupping is usually caused by faulty suspension shocks/struts. I’m not sure I have ever experienced torque steer in our BRM.
I’m thinking you have a loose/ worn suspension components to experience what you’re describing… Motor and Transmission mounts could contribute and make it worse.

BRM model engine is known for breaking the passenger side motor mount, and the hole the mount uses on the engine breaks off too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts