VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first top side change last night and really enjoyed not getting on my back. Working on cars is more of a neccesiy for me and I let my mech do the tough jobs, so I don't need to inspect the underside often. I used the Liquivac that I bought at TSC for $49.99 and it was quicker than advertised. I got out about 4 qts as indicated on the tank and when I put 4 qts back in, it indicated full. So I'm guessing there was a qt left in the pan. The car nose was downhill a touch. Should the car be level or nose up to get the rest of the oil?
Thanks, Bill

BTW, at 192,800 still getting better than 50mpg. Doing my best to lower my demand on the supply.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Is your car an A3 1999 or an A4 1999.5?? If an A4 (ALH engine), did you vacuum up the oil inside the oil filter housing - including going down into the oil cooler?

Yuri

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's 1999.5 and no I did not suck out the oil filter house or cooler. I opened the filter before starting and thought that would drain the oil down.
Is the oil cooler straight down through the filter house?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Next time go exploring around the oil filter housing with the pickup hose... aside from a bit of dirty oil hiding in the nooks and crannies in the housing itself, you'll find one deep hole that goes all the way down the cooler... There's quite a bit still in there...

All the best,

Yuri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts