VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2006 Jetta TDI... I like doing as much maintenance as I can myself. I am looking for suggestions for special tools I may need. Also, which filters and oils are best OEM?

Thanks,
-Seth.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Any oem or oem equivalent are fine. For example, Mann makes the OEM fuel filters so there's no problem buying a Mann part isntead of OEM.

Other than torx bits, you don't need anything special other than some good metric tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For consumable parts and supplies I've had great luck with germanfilters.com They have consistently delivered top quality products (including Mann filters) at as good a price as I've found.

I also recommend a small cordless electric screwdriver that will accept torx bits. That will save alot of time on routine maintenance. Also, a 1-1/4 inch socket fits perfectly for the oil filter housing.

If you decide to take on the timing belt yourself, make sure and use the articles and reference information on this forum, it's far better than the OEM VW manual. I bought the kit from blauparts.com and they rent the special tools needed for the job. It was all top notch parts and tools, and good service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts