VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally watch the tonight show but lately I've been watching nightline. The tonight show is in reruns from 1995! Jokes about OJ Simpson because of the writer's strike. How disappointing!

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed it too. I just watch the tonight show when there's someone I like on. I just turn the TV of now.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I still like it because you never see these episodes. The jokes are old but they're still fun to watch and it's fun to see how much the celebreties have changed.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Well they have gone back to recent reruns.

Ratings are in the gutter, the writers were all fired, and no end in sight. But doesn't anyone remember when the writer's strike affected Carson? He went on and was still king of late night.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Not so fast, they will go back on the air with new shows.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071217/ap_en_tv/tv_late_night_return;_ylt=AvsDBnl.2Z9bi7sg3I6TOAURr7sF

Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien plan a Jan. 2 return with fresh episodes, ending two months of reruns brought on by the writers' strike, the network said Monday. But until the strike is settled, the hosts will be on their own.
While late night TV will forge ahead without joke writers, they won't be far from anyone's mind.
"I will make clear, on the program, my support for the writers and I'll do the best version of `Late Night' I can under the circumstances," O'Brien said in a written statement. "Of course, my show will not be as good. In fact, in moments it may very well be terrible."
Both NBC hosts indicated it was a tortuous decision for them to come back, torn by their support for the writers and knowledge that several dozen other staff members would be laid off if the shows remained dark. Some of the late-night stars covered employees' salaries during the holiday season.
Leno said that with talks breaking down and no further negotiations scheduled, he felt it was his responsibility to get his 100 non-writing staff members back to work.
Mike Sweeney, chief of the "Late Night" staff of 14 writers, said "we all know what a difficult position Conan is in. He's been incredibly supportive of us."
Sweeney said he didn't want to comment on his boss' decision to come back without the writers. The "Tonight" show's chief writer, walking the picket line in Burbank, Calif., was similary reluctant to criticize his boss' decision.

The development could cut both ways for the union. Suspended late-night programming has been the most visible sign of the strike for the viewing public, and bringing the shows back could remove a significant piece of leverage. At the same time, the hosts could come back and pepper their network bosses with ridicule in support of the writers' cause.
That's what Johnny Carson did in 1988, when he similarly returned to the air after two months off during a writers' strike then. Carson worked without writers for three weeks, then reached a separate deal with the union to bring his staff back.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O'brien terrible? Like the first 4 years of his show???

Just goes to show you how little jokes the hosts write.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And they're back tonight.

I've been watching nightline in the meantime. They're pretty much the same thing but with beards, lol.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I recorded both Leno and Letterman. Letterman was more of the same, Leno was better. He talked about stories from his personal life and showbusiness, the monolouge was cut short. I like it better this way because the monologe?(spelling) is just canned jokes anyways.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
How do people find the time to watch all these TV shows? I watch the evening news and then have to get up to work early. Think about it, you could be losing valuable sleeping time. If you cut out 3 late nite shows a week, you could be more refreshed all week long/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts