VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vacation is coming up and we are going on a road-trip (Montreal - Orlando FL - Montreal).

Before we are going to leave i will have 3000km before scheduled maintenance i.e. oil change only and once we are back I will be 2000km past maintenance window. I would hate to go in early with still 3000km but...

Know I could do it on the road but does it affect warranty by having it done outside Canada?

Any advise?

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is my opinion, so it is only worth $0.02.
I would think that any VW dealer in the US or Canada, could change your oil and not void your warranty.
I have been changing my own oil on all my vehicles, since 1968. I know they are done correctly and the proper oil is being used. I save all my receipts as documentation that the oil and filters were changed. I never had an issue with warranty due to changing my own oil/filters. BTW my very first new vehicle was a 1969 VW 1500 Super Beetle.
Jim W.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I change mine myself as well for similar reasons--I know it's done right. I would change it before I hit the road so I didn't have to concern myself with it on the road. Robert

·
Registered
308 Posts
Freeflyer-

Based on what your trip plans are and mileage etc, it would do no harm or good as far as the car (engine) is concerned whether or not you do the change before or after. If its your first oil change I would do it before the trip if its a question of either doing it before the trip or after.

When you look at it from a warranty standpoint and showing that you are making a good faith effort to maintain the car should something go wrong down the line, then I believe the decision is obvious...go ahead and get the oil change done before you leave.

To follow on what Jim W. suggested as far as oil changes by someone other than the dealer you bought it from, there is no issue whatsoever as he stated. You can do the oil change yourself (keep receipts and record the date and mileage you did it), you can bring it to a "Jiffy Lube" or similar type shop, an independent auto shop, another dealer (Toyota, Audi, BMW for example). All you need to do is make sure they use the proper oil/filter, otherwise it doesn't matter who does the oil change as long as it gets done (and properly).

They cannot void your warranty just because a VW dealer didn't do it and I've never heard of them trying to. So if its not a huge inconvenience to your road trip, if you like, you can even have it done en route when you hit the mileage. Me personally, I'd just change it before you leave and not worry about anything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a million to you all. I will have the oil change done in FL.
BTW i got the car exactly today a year ago!! And we are talking 88910km! And only one major problem.. the ever famous iced up intercooler... (welcome to Montreal....)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Congrats! And I forgot to mention, have a safe trip, and enjoy!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts