VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at more than a month or ownership of this fantastic car, I'm pondering chipping the TDI Golfster. I am into this car for fuel economy and I am currently maintaining 725+ miles per tank. Even though my sig states a .681 5th gear and the CCV mod, they still have not made it to the vehicle. (where does all my time go?)

Who are the reputable chip tuners out there for TDI? I've search a few places and would like to hear what other think of them and/or who's a good one to go with or who to stay away from. European Car had a nice article of a TDI tunes by neuspeed and the results were very impressive. This was a simple "flash" of the ecu.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't like chip brand discussions so I just listed them all in the performance FAQ and let it be, see the above links. Everyone thinks their chip is the best. I haven't tried them all and I doubt most people have tried them all either. Rocketchip is a good value and he gives a lot of attention to TDIs but he's very difficult to get ahold of.

That said, I recommend a chip for everyone except if your goal is super economy. I feel this way because you won't be tempeted to just floor it and blow smoke. Smoke=unburned fuel or burning oil. Some will say that a chip doesn't change economy and I feel this is true to the extent that if you don't change your driving style, then a chip will decrease economy.

The biggest factor is driving style, if you accelerate fast without a chip then economy suffers, if you drive slow with a chip then economy is better. I like the fact that the raised boost with a chip lets you retain plenty of pickup with a taller 5th gear...I gave up trying to be a hypermiler.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was looking for, a list of who makes chips or at least a small list of the most tried and true... Thank you very much guys, I'll let you know what what/if I go this route. My driving style has completely changed. I now live in the right lane and I don't care who passes me. If the speed limit is 65, I'm going maybe 67 at the most and I love it. I'm toying with the idea of getting a personalized plate for my TDI, it will read "52 MPG" LOL! That should get a few grins or piss some people off that blow by me in their Hummer's and pick-up trucks and other assorted land yachts :) I have to take a very important test on the 28th, so I'm not going to "play" with the car until then, but I need to do this 5th gear mod soon.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Chippping a TDI I believe is good, you could still drive the way you normally do, and you will no sacrifice the MPG instead I believe you gain 1 or 2 mpgs, but when in an emergency overtaking someone on the HWY , you will have all the torque needed to accomplish that,,, I was able to get 57 mpg, going around 60-63 mph with PP520 and RC3 on a long trip.

Having said all this, I agree with Chitty, it all depends how you use your tune, if you step on it, you will sacrifice your mpgs, but if you drive it the way you noramally do, you will be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I was on the fence and after chipping I can't see why they didn't do this from the factory. My MPG hasn't changed but the power is there when I need it. I think that because the throttle is all electronic, it feels more sensitive too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was on the fence and after chipping I can't see why they didn't do this from the factory. My MPG hasn't changed but the power is there when I need it. I think that because the throttle is all electronic, it feels more sensitive too.
Which one did you use??:lock:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I've had success with my Unitronic Stage 2 chip software. Better power when needed without hurting MPG. I ended up with Unitronic because that is what my local VW/Audi place uses (not a stealership). As soon as the PP520 nozzles I ordered arrive and I install them, I hope my MPG will go up a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flowing more fuel (bigger injector nozzles) won't increase your MPG.... it will tempt you to use the power more often just because you have it... Drive for economy though and you won't see much of a loss....

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Flowing more fuel (bigger injector nozzles) won't increase your MPG.... it will tempt you to use the power more often just because you have it... Drive for economy though and you won't see much of a loss....
It does tempt you to use the power more often but the point of bigger injector nozzles is not just more fuel, it's the shorter duration. The faster you can inject the fuel, the less smoke and more power you get. There is an optimum timing. There's worse atomization with larger nozzles but most people say that the mileage difference is made up with the faster injection.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts

The bigger nozzles have better atomization than the stock nozzles, better spraying pattern, so they are actually not flowing more fuel in your TDI cylinder, and by having better pattern and atomiztions most of the times you see an increase of fuel economy,, but as Chitty puts it, if you change your driving style you will sacrifice your mpg, and I agree with you , you will be tempted to step on it,,, otherwise if you drive the car like you always do, you will gain from 1-2 mpg. guaranteed.

My wife drives a TDI Jetta she is getting betwwen 53 to 55 mpg all the time, PP520's RC3, L/P, the reason she is getting this is because she never pushes the car hard, and she drives 65% freeway and 35% city. I do the cleaning on the turbo when I get on that car, LOL italian tune up big time, big smile.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I think most clutches reach the limit with chip+520 nozzles. Don't roll on early at the torque peak and it's less likely to slip.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
So what is the biggest chip/nozzle combo you can fit on a 5 speed? Whats the verdict on clutches since MAXRPM's held up?
It depends, I always give conservative recommendations. A few people got clutch slip with just a chip. If you mod your car for power, budget for a clutch. If it doesn't need one like in a few cases, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Try chip + 520 PP nozzles. Like the above post, smooth application of power and higher rpms will help prevent torque spikes and the low end torque that slips clutches. Hp does not slip clutches, torque does.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
When you tune your car and swap to bigger nozzles Some of the stock clutches will hold up and other won't because once you have a tune and a chip a lot of us will do this,, for example, if you are in 5th gear and you are around 1800 RPM then you step hard on the pedal and coming from low rpm to high rpm applying all the torque on a little clutch , well this is the begining of a dying clutch down the line.

In my case if I wanted to gun my car 5th gear at 1800 RPM, I would just shift it into 4th gear then I gun it, keeping my car raved up in high RPM has saved my clutch I always try to keep my shifting RPM at at least 2500-3000 rpms when I am in a racing mode only.

I've had my car tuned for 3 years already with bigger nozzles PP520's RC3+,at the begining, RC6 and 502's about a 1-1/2 year ago, and my clutch still holding on strong. remember you could still be driving and going from low RPM to higher rpms but never push the throttle all the way rather shift into a lower gear then gun it, I would even shift this way with a new and upgraded clutch, just for the sake of a clutch.

My car has already reached 167K miles , and I still do not need to replace the stock clutch, knock on woods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts