VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my brain cells are about to explode. Our old 2001 Jetta Wagon gasser is about to be retired as the family ride and my wife wants another VW. I'm a diesel freak so I am getting the say on the motor and tranny (Diesel/Manual) while she gets the say on everything else. You know us men,we really only care about what makes stuff work.

Anyway, I'm pretty much 80% sure I want a TDI but the one thing that's bugging me is this HPFP failure that seems to have affected not a few owners. I know its early but I am wondering if there is any information that VW/Bosch has addressed this or is at least acknowledging this problem? I don't mind buying it if I think a recall is on the horizon and the dealership hear is telling me to contact corporate for information(Fat chance they will tell me anything other than something that will get me to buy there product!) I suppose I'm looking for that other 20% that will tip the balance and get me to part with 25 grand.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There is internal information based on the fact that they collect warranty failure parts and they have looked at them.

Publicly available information or official updates from either VW or Bosch? No.

Deny, delay, and defend as long as possible. While the exact number of failures is unknown, there are enough anecdotal reports and decent hypothesis out there so that I believe it to be statistically relevant number. What will be the real percent who will have this problem? Unknown.

Having said that, I would still buy one because what is the alternative to the Sportwagen? There is none (at least in the US).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Much more expensive, but BMW X5 diesel and 335D sedan.
One is a truck and the other is a sedan. The Sportwagen is unique in that it's a station wagon. Come to think of it, I don't think Toyota makes a Camry wagon anymore. I still see used ones all the time. Their crossovers are probably more profitable but some people just like wagons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 2011Golf TDi. My opinion is every enthusiast web site will have a story of a catastrophic failure that affects 200 of the 10,000 units manufactured and sold. You can't worry about a lightning strike...you just deal with it when it happens.

My Golf is an awesome car.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
14,000 miles on my Golf TDI.
Still loving it.
Not one stall, studder, hiccup, or failure.....

Jump in, the water is fine.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
76 Posts
get one with LOW miles and don't let the dealer touch it or fill it up for you.

I'm willing to bet the HPFP failures are from idiot dealers/techs filling them up with gas before delivery and then draining and refilling with diesel before a sale.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
get one with LOW miles and don't let the dealer touch it or fill it up for you.

I'm willing to bet the HPFP failures are from idiot dealers/techs filling them up with gas before delivery and then draining and refilling with diesel before a sale.
Wish I could still have my warranty and do my own servicing. Letting someone under the hood of my vehicles would be like letting another man sleep with my wife. Its just not right!!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Should't that be "Jump in, the diesel is fine..?"
:)
Yes, the "diesel" is fine.
I failed to mention, get the DSG with it.

If you read about all of the stalling the 6spd owners experience, then the question of DSG vs 6spd will be answered before you purchase.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:)
Yes, the "diesel" is fine.
I failed to mention, get the DSG with it.

If you read about all of the stalling the 6spd owners experience, then the question of DSG vs 6spd will be answered before you purchase.
I've always been manual shift driver. I hate automatic shift

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I've always been manual shift driver. I hate automatic shift
If you haven't experienced a DSG, I'd say give a DSG equipped TDI a test while you are shopping.
Consider giving your driving experience an upgrade.
I personally am a convert and consider the DSG an upgrade.

When my DSG accelerates, it feels like a magic carpet. No, lunging between gears (like a conventional automatic), very smooth. Just pure acceleration as I leave the traffic light/stop sign.

The paddle shifters make it even more fun.

Best wishes.
:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you haven't experienced a DSG, I'd say give a DSG equipped TDI a test while you are shopping.
Consider giving your driving experience an upgrade.
I personally am a convert and consider the DSG an upgrade.

When my DSG accelerates, it feels like a magic carpet. No, lunging between gears (like a conventional automatic), very smooth. Just pure acceleration as I leave the traffic light/stop sign.

The paddle shifters make it even more fun.

Best wishes.
:D
Ive driven a Passat with dual shift or whatever you call it. I just prefer a clutch pedal. Much easier to change out a clutch too IMO. I might give the DSG a test drive though. Nothing ventured nothing gained

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
If you would like an informative read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox#Volkswagen_Passenger_Cars

And, if you like gearboxes as much as I do, and would trade a pedal to get another one, notice this part...

"...it is two separate manual gearboxes (and clutches), contained within one housing, and working as one unit."

Well, I'll leave it at that.
I guess I could say that I love my DSG.
And when the day comes to service the clutches, I am sure I will still love it.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would not buy another VW product. After losing use of my 2010 TDI Golf for six days when it was not even six months old sunk my opinion on the brand completely. That and getting a junker (2010 Jetta gasser) for a loaner with its own assorted problems will keep me from buying anything from the VW group.

Comparable vehicles to your old wagon? Any crossover. However with your desire to get a diesel there isn't anything in the price range, an A3 maybe.

Well my TDI goes in for its 10k service next week; it actually crossed 10k today; so I have only 20k left before its gone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get the automatic, the manual is prone to stalling.
I've driven manuals my whole driving life. Once you find the bite point of your cars clutch you stall very rarely. Its very difficult to stall a diesel anyway unless your not an experienced manual shifter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts