VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished writing up this calculator. In addition to the standard wheel/tire diameter/width difference it also finds offset, changes in the wheel moving inboard and outboard, has tables for putting in the gearing for TDI , and explains some output information in detail to help you interpret the data. Try it out here and feel free to spread it if you like it! I don't know why people still recommend the miata tire calculator since it's pretty outdated

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm

It was inspired by a few different tire/wheel calculators but I changed the variables, formulas, the decimal places, organization, and user interface enough so that it's my own. I like it so much that I'm going to put it on the front page since I think it's pretty useful and I would like to make it more visible. I can change it as needed so feel free to make any suggestions - keeping in mind that I am not a professional programmer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It could use some more color to let you know what boxes are input and which are output. There are some input boxes for rpm. I can also type in the output boxes but it doesn't do anything. Maybe you can lock them so you can only type in the input boxes which are a differnet color.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I don't want to add too much color because it can get confusing. I will try to lock the output boxes but I'm not a javascript expert. I also don't know if it works in Mac safari. The blue buttons at the top of the FAQ pages which say "home..forums...register...1000q" are highlighted when the mouse passes over them. Using someone's Mac I noticed that it didn't work. If you have a Mac Safari browser, please let me know if it works.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No mouseover action in Safari 4.0.4 under Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). Later on today I'll fire up my other Mac and try it under Leopard (10.5.x).

-dan

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
cool app, it looks like top speed is about 145. what's the actual top speed? Is it limited by the injection pump or governor?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Neither; it's limited electronically to 130 mph to meet US regs.

-dan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just learned that Safari can be downloaded to work on windows.

I can see that the javascript that causes the buttons at the top of each FAQ page aren't highlighting when the user puts the mouse on top of them. It works fine in IE and firefox. This will require some tweaking but it appears the tire/wheel calculator works fine.:dunno

·
Registered
69 Posts
No joy with Firefox for Mac either, but it's really no big deal; the links work fine, just no highlight on mouseover.

-dan

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No joy with Firefox for Mac either, but it's really no big deal; the links work fine, just no highlight on mouseover.

-dan
The buttons have now been rewritten in CSS and redrawn. I downloaded safari for PC and they appear to work in IE, Firefox, and Safari for PC. I also made them a little flashier. Because the old code was too long to find/replace, I had to hand replace. There are currently about 290 FAQ web pages and somewhere over 600 pages (counted as page pages) on the site. Cleaning up the page should also improve search ranking - some of my pages like the tax credit info page for VW TDI are unmatched in information but google and yahoo don't seem to like it at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Offset diameter

I am a new 2010 JSW TDI owner w/16" tires, I got the basic package.

Previously I owned a 2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T and due to swapping out snow tires, purchased a set of wheels and tires. The wheels were supposedly from a 2001 Avant. This set worked for both the 2002 and 2003/4 model years.

was wondering if anyone might know if these wheel might fit the new Jetta? The tires are the same, Dunlap Wintersports 205/R55/16s. For the most part they have been in a garage or a storage shed since 2007.

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used 16" steelies with Dunlop snows from my Audi A4 on my Audi A3 and my wife's Passat wagon.

I didn't put them on my JSW this winter because it drove fine in moderate snow with the Contis and I wasn't up for seeing the Tire Pressure Monitoring "nag" alert constantly displayed on the dash.

-dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts