VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Jetta with Triptronic 5 speed auto. At 175K had fluid changed, was having some issues with upshift to 2nd or 3rd. No improvement, check engine light will flash and shift won't always happen until dead middle temp reached on coolant. Usually no problems then. Sometimes no check and no shift problems at all, for days. Then it might not want to shift this afternoon when I leave for home from work. When engine good and cold, problems occur more often, but not 100% of the time.
Error code indicates failure in 2 or 3rd gears (you think???). Local dealer is worthless here in central Arkansas.
Ideas?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does going into tiptronic mode and manually shifting do anything? How many miles now since the fluid was changed? Do you know the specific error codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shop gave me codes, don't have them anymore. Recall he said failure 2nd gear, failure 3rd gear.
Now have 197K. Once really warm, no problems. Takes 10 minuets in first running around to warm up. Check engine light on. Other days, check is off and it shifts fine. Coolant temp sensor changed by dealer on recall at about 135K.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The best thing to do is to go to Autozone or your local auto parts store and have them scan the codes and see what the check engine light is showing. Is there any power loss which is preventing upshifting or is it soley a transmission problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to Autozone, error codes P0732 & P0733, gear 2 & 3 incorrect ratio, Open or short circuit condition with probably cause of: poor electrical connection, low transmission fluid level, or failed transmission solenoid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had two solid days in row of zero problems, no check engine and no shifting problems. Dealer said "new transmission", codes indicate electrical, fluid low (not supposed to be), or selenoid problems.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would keep driving it until it blows up. It just sounds like a bad ground or sensor that has intermittent contact. It might be a bad valve body that isn't working until it's warmed up but it's more likely a bad transmission computer or a bad connection at the speed sensor which is the 2nd code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because of the intermittent nature of the failure, figured likely hood was more for electrical than valve. Wouldn't it make sense that if valve, it would be much more problematic. Sometimes days can go with no failures, then several days of difficult warmups necessary. Having trouble finding anyone in Central Arkansas who will even take a look at it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Try http://www.cardocautomotive.com/ , he is known as oilhammer on another forum and he is known as a TDI expert.

Got these from a list on another forum - you could try

European Service Works
5221 Pleasant View Rd
Memphis, TN 38134
(901) 372-7050

or

German Performance Options
1227 Lebanon Pike
Nashville, Tn
(615)248-9466.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find the problem? i hade code p0732 and random limp mode times. one month no problem then limp mode again. changed trans fluid. had a little wet pas floor but tcm didnt get wet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts