VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change the oil the other day and noticed that it was a lot more wet than normal. I think I have gone from a seep to a leak. Its all wet underneath the engine, how do I locate the exact leak?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
First, clean the engine. Try to cover up electrical connectors and the alternator, remove the battery. This is a good time to clean the whole engine bay. Spray with degreaser and soapy water. It will make finding the leak 1000 times easier.

The problem is that once there's a leak, air blows the oil all around. So sometimes oil moves down, sometimes it moves towards the back of the car.

Try looking at the back of the valve cover and the EGR weep hole.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It depends, probably not. If the leak is on the outside of the turbo from an oil feed line or return line, which is likely as the car get older, no runaway but the lines should be replaced.

If the leak is internal it probably won't be on the outside of the turbo as much unless it's really bad but will cause a runaway.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The turbo can leak but if the exhaust is normal and not smokey, it's probably an external leak. The EGR weep hole often leaks oil, this is very common. As it drips down, it coats the back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I know that there are dyes that you can add to the oil, not sure if it's approved for diesels. The idea is that you add a dye, drive the car, and then use a special light to see where the dye has stained the exisitng oil leaks.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
They use a UV or blacklight to detect the dye. Some have special tinted glasses to make the colors stand out more. I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with diesel oil but I would change it out as soon as you can just in case. If the leak is bad, you don't want it dripping down onto the hot exhaust either.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
If you're really concerned about the turbo, take off the turbo intake and exhaust piping right next to the turbo and take a look. If it's wet then you have an oil leak. If it's dry then you don't.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, there is a small pinhole leak on the underside of the intake manifold. The head gasket looks dry but the back of the engine is wet and the oil pan area looks wet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts