VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am curious if any of you have added additional tint to the sunroof glass to help cut down on the amount of sun/heat coming thru since there isn't a solid screen, just the perforated screening. In AZ this is a concern of mine and would probably make finding one easier.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If you are considering it I would get it professionally done as it can make a big difference to how nice it looks.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
IIRC, someone said that their dealer told them it could shatter the glass. I don't see how. I did read about a spontaneous sunroof shattering on a JSW. I've seen the pano sunroof and while it's nice and opens up the car, I don't like it because it adds weight to the top of the car and complexity, costs money, and there have been a few reports of shattered sunroofs out of the tens of thousands of cars sold.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why would tint cause the sunroof to shatter? If that were the case, the rear window could also shatter. It's also pointing up mostly. Don't forget that the sunroof comes as part of a package now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't see why it would cause a problem to tint it but...For proper installation it would make sense that the sunroof would have to be removed...I don't know if its worth messing with it. I don't know how it is properly removed and if it would ever go back in as it came out. Sounds like its probably better left alone. I'd look into modifying the screen so its solid. Sounds like a better bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
...For proper installation it would make sense that the sunroof would have to be removed...
No need to remove. Any competent installer can tint the roof in place.

Getting back to the OP's question, haven't done so on the golf (yet) but we tinted the roof on our Honda truck and there was an amazing reduction in heat buildup in the cab. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've been reading on another forum about this guy who came out one morning and his sunroof had shattered all by itself.:confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been reading on another forum about this guy who came out one morning and his sunroof had shattered all by itself.:confused:
I saw one of those too, but wasn't that with extreme cold in their region? Well under zero IIRC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts