VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's done. I had it confirmed, the 04 jetta I recently purchased had never had the t-belt replaced....(I managed to contact the previous owner, and the VW dealer he had ALL of his maintenance done at never suggested to have it done, and he never thought a diesel would have a t-belt) I ordered the parts from bora, and kept my fingers crossed that the belt would last until the parts arrived. Well it did, first belt replacement at 363987 kms and 7 years!!!!!

Just to say a big THANK-YOU for the how-to's for my pumpe a duese. But seeing that I managed to have to do the whole operation 2 times I'd like to give a couple of words of advice.

1. when you put humpty back together againe, make sur the engine side motor mount is in the right place, if not the belt and tensioner have to come off againe.

2. make sur you use some lube on the water pump o-ring. first time I didn't and the o-ring twisted out.... needless to say even thought everything seemed to go back together smoothly, once I went for my road test the darned thing leaked!!!! the o-ring twisted and pinched, so make sur it's lubed before installing the new water pump.

other than that things a good, thanks againe for the step by step ... (even though now I can do it with one eye closed)

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
363,000 KMs is probably the most I have ever heard of someone getting on a T/B. Congrats on changing it before it failed. Kind of a testament to how well made these cars are.

I think by far the most common reason a belt fails is when they are changed and the job is done incorrectly. Does sound like you did your homework and can look forward to many trouble free KMs of driving.:p

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
363,000 KMs is probably the most I have ever heard of someone getting on a T/B. Congrats on changing it before it failed. Kind of a testament to how well made these cars are.

I think by far the most common reason a belt fails is when they are changed and the job is done incorrectly. Does sound like you did your homework and can look forward to many trouble free KMs of driving.:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts