VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 VW Jetta TDI- have been reading posts on how to change the timing belt. This car has 100,000 miles on the original belt. Seems like it takes alot of special tools to hold things in place or to hold parts so that you can retighten them. After you are done with the physical replacement of the belt and other parts there still is the timing of the injector pump. Can anyone give me some helpful advice? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep. There's really no way around it. The timing can be done relatively quickly and isn't required to start the car but it should be done when you get access to a VCDS so that you can check it. The tools will just make sure the pump timing is to the point where the car will start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vas-com

I have talked to people who have not loosened the 3 injection pump bolts when changing the timing belt. Obviously the VAG-COM is not used to check injection pump timing at the end. So the factory settings are the same as before the new timing belt was replaced. Has anyone used that approach?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That is the wrong way and I can guarantee you that the factory settings aren't the same. The first reason why you want to reset the pump position is because as the timing belt ages the timing is retarded slightly. You want to reset the position on a new belt but the engine will still start and run even if it's slightly out of time.

The other reason why is because when you tension the belt, you should loosen the sprockets so that tension is even across the entire belt. If you don't loosen the injection pump bolts, tension will be tighter on one section and when you remove the pump pin, the tension will move the sprocket. So even if you don't intend to move it, it will move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts