VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sound like paranoia to ask about timing belt for 2009 car, but I just sold another car that was at about the time to change it, and that influenced negotiation quite a bit. So, in the maintenance schedule it says to change it at 120,000 miles if I am not mistaken.
Am I right?
How much it costs (for older TDI cars with similar engine)?
I found nothing in "Q: 1000 answers", maybe it isworth adding.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's in the Jetta buying checklist, page 2. There's also a note explaining why the change interval is longer vs. the older TDI engines.

http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/jettagolfchecklist2.htm

120,000 miles is correct for your 2.0L TDI CBEA engine. Dealer cost should be aroud $800-1000, DIY cost should be about $300-350 in parts. Of course it can vary greatly by location and dealer, but dealers charge roughly $100/hour plus tax, plus shop supplies, plus they mark up parts at least 50-100% over what you could buy them online for. They normally have a 90 day warranty but if they screw up the job it could take a few thousand miles to fail.

Some guys specialize in TDIs and work out of their garages. They do timing belts for $500-600 but there's usually no warranty. You save money because they don't pay tax, no overhead, no shop insurance, workman's comp, etc., which is partly why dealers charge so much.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, 120,000 miles is right. Make sure to do all the idler pulleys, tensioner, water pump. FYI, it's expensive but a belt is better than a chain because it's quieter and smoother. Especially on a TDI which you want to last a long time. If you want to change the timing chain on the 2.5 gas Jetta engine you have to take off the transmission! That's much more painful when the car has depreciated. Many people think a chain is lifetime, lol, that's like VW's "lifetime" gear oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the answers. I apologize, next time I should read all pages and more carefully. “1000q how-to” is incredible in amount of useful information. Thanks again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMO, avoid the dealer. There are some good guys but your best bet is to find a TDI guru mechanic, usually an independent garage. This engine is new so noone has a lot of experience with it. If this engine is anything like previous engines, not using the correct tools can damage the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts