VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. I live in Canada and have many TDIs (1 Mk3, 2 Mk4, and now a b5.5 TDI).
I picked up this passat TDI with a blown motor (timing belt skipped) and have been doing an overhaul on it.
Changed the short block, had the head rebuilt and now I'm at re-assembly part.

Since the motor was completely apart, I've lost TDC on short block as well as head. Any tips on getting back to centre?
Also, once I do have it all setup with timing belt in place (in proper position), anything else to do before trying to start it?

What's the break-in procedure for the new block?

any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't know how far along you are but don't install the camshaft until the engine is at TDC. The crank rotates twice every cam rotation.

The crank sprocket mark determines TDC, the problem is how to know if it's at TDC or 180 degrees off. If the head isn't installed yet, the #1 cylinder should be at the top. If the head is installed, remove a glow plug and use a thin item through the GP hole to see when the #1 piston is at the top. The tip should be non scratch to metal and remember to not let it bend when the piston is moving up. It doesn't have to be 100% exact since that's what the mark on the crank sprocket is for.

Once the crank is in position, install the lock tool. Then install the camshaft with the #1 lobes pointing up like a V. The cam pulley has a key that locks it to the cam. At TDC, the hole for the cam pin should also be lined up. Before you tighten the camshaft, also make sure that it rotates freely and isn't jamming.

As part of the TB installation, rotate the engine by hand a few times once the belt is installed to make sure you got it right and nothing is jamming. I don't see how you could if you follow these steps.

There's an article in the FAQs for engine pull, timing belt, and engine break in. Good luck, it sounds like a real project, take some pics if any step in the instructions aren't clear, and good writeups for things not covered qualify for the writeup contest!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If the engine is apart you should do the balance shaft mod. No point in fixing the head only to have the oil pump suddenly blow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, will try these techniques tonight when its put back together.

Also, the short block I have CAME with the balance shaft mod already done....was one of the reasons I bought it in the first place. Was looking at $1500 CDN for the parts to do it and bought the short block for $2500 CDN.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts