·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Generally the belt will whine. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
On a cold engine AND at TDC, the pointer should be between the dash marks. Look at the BEW engine timing belt writeup for pictures. Not at TDC or not cold, don't worry if it's a little off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had the pointer in between the notchs. After the car was ran i looked and the pointer was way past the notches foward. I also thought i heard the belt whine on my test drive. But its not now. Should i tear it back down and check it? I turned the motor over twice and reajusted it because it was off. Just dont want it to break my belt.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
i had the pointer in between the notchs. After the car was ran i looked and the pointer was way past the notches foward. I also thought i heard the belt whine on my test drive. But its not now. Should i tear it back down and check it? I turned the motor over twice and reajusted it because it was off. Just dont want it to break my belt.
The only way to mess it up is if the crankshaft, water pump sprockets are crooked or if the tensioner tab is not in the slot. As long as it didn't move when you tighten the tensioner nut, it's correct.

If it's not at TDC, the belt could be resting at some spot which puts a little extra tension on it. As long as it was correct before, it'll be correct later. Unless the tensioner is defective.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts