VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced the timing belt in my 2005 bew jetta. as i am buttoningn things nup i noticed that the tensioner narrow is just barely in the left side of the "window". of course the motor mount is back in!! i am so stupid!! how bad is this? do i need to diassemble again or will it be ok. it really sucks because everything went so well and i wish i had triple checked.
thanks for the info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you can relock the cam and crank at TDC with the tools (remove the harmonic balancer & serp belt)

loosen the 3 cam pulley bolts,

then you can completely loosen the tensioner, and reset it with the double ended metalnerd tool with the motor mount still in the car. access is tight, but it can be done.

once you have the tensioner reset, you can retighten the 3 cam pulley bolts, pull the cam pin, pull the crank lock, and rotate around 2x full revolutions to verify tension is evenly set around the belt. double check tensioner pointer before you button it all back up.

check your torsion value with vcds (0.0-+0.5 when warm) and you are good to go for another 80k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the difficulty that i am having is how to torque the nut on the tensioner. i can get an allen wrench on the tensioner to turn it, but there is only room for an open end wrench on the nut.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the difficulty that i am having is how to torque the nut on the tensioner. i can get an allen wrench on the tensioner to turn it, but there is only room for an open end wrench on the nut.
Yes, this will be difficult. It took me at least 20 minutes to set tension properly last time I had to do it with the motor mount in place. There is a delicate balance between keeping the nut tight enough to hold tension and trying not to tighten the nut too much when tensioning. Find a mirror and a light, use your open-ended wrench to tighten the nut. Just expect it to take a while, go slow and careful, and you'll get it. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
You also have to take into account your energy level... That means that some sort of counter for the cookies and confections you've eaten immediately before doing the work is needed... I believe that's how the Fig-Newton-Meter came into being...

Yuri

·
Registered
21 Posts
You also have to take into account your energy level... That means that some sort of counter for the cookies and confections you've eaten immediately before doing the work is needed... I believe that's how the Fig-Newton-Meter came into being...

Yuri
LOL... no arguing with facts like those! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts