VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first TB change on my 2004 golf. Everything went well rotated the engine 4 times by hand and everthing lined up each time and the tensioner stayed in the right place. I started the engine and checked the timing with vag com and that was right on. Then checked the tensioner position and it had moved to the right of the place I installed it ( it went tighter about 3/16"). Is this normal or do I have to readjust the tensioner?
steve

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's normal. The tensioner should be set at TDC on a cold engine. If everything else is back at TDC on a warm engine it could move. I would not touch it since you checked it after installing it. Congrats on a job well done!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks chitty,I'll keep an eye on it. I thought that might be the way it works but it didn't say that in all the many instructions that I read. So as the belt gets older and stretches the pointer will move more to the right?
steve

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The pointer will move to the left (unless I'm getting my wires crossed) and loosen a little but the tension should still be OK. Keep in mind that it's rated for 100,000 miles so I wouldn't bother checking it unless you're already in there for some other reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts