VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this post http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/brm-cam-replacement-2808
where chittychittybangbang mentioned that it is possible to remove the timing belt with the motor mounts still on. I bought one of the kits and plan on doing this in a week or two. The only thing I don't have, as of now, is an engine support or cherry picker. So is it feasible to replace the timing belt w/o removing the motor mounts? Honestly, reading through the various DIYs out there, I don't really see the need, unless a mount is right in the way of the belt coming off/going on.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
After reading lots of posts on here I would say that Chitty seems to know his stuff man. If he says it can be done without removing the mount I believe him. I think maybe some people remove it to make access easier.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The belt can come off, the problem is that the tensioner and other stuff can't. Because you have to change them you have to remove the mount.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
You could use a jack and a block of wood on the edge of the sump to take the weight off the mount if you need to remove it. Just be careful and go easy.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
After reading lots of posts on here I would say that Chitty seems to know his stuff man. If he says it can be done without removing the mount I believe him. I think maybe some people remove it to make access easier.
Heym thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes you can slip the belt off. But yes you have to take the mount off during a routine change for the reasons mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes but you don't need to remove the belt from the rest of the timing belt route if replacing the cam. Just slide it off the camshaft pulley and put it back when you're done. On a side note, this style of motor mount is much easier to remove vs. the older styles and it's not just because there's a little more clearance between the engine and frame rail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts