VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well did I ever step in it today.....

So, trying to do my own timing belt change for the first time this saturday, after struggling way too long with way too many fasteners, the new timing belt is on and I'm ready to go. Just to crank the engine around to check that everything is ok and.... crap....... double crap, no way this thing is turning more then a 1/4 turn. Try to turn it back to where it started and.... it doesn't want to do that either. Ok this is not making much sense.

At any rate. Now I've packaged up all my loose parts and manifested them and the car is getting towed to the garage tomorrow morning - with the engine still on the engine hanger I built (it's pretty sturdy, and the shop is only a few blocks away). So much for saving money! Here's hoping they can clean up my mess...

So here's where I went wrong:

-forgot to double check crankshaft still at tdc when unlocking engine.
-used ****e locking tools I made myself with a grinder. Ok. that doesn't work.

So ya, buy the good tools. The only specialized tool I used that worked well was a counter-hold tool that was only $15.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did you tighten the camshaft pulley? You can make the tools yourself and they'll work fine as long as they duplicate the tools.

Is the garage qualified to work on TDI? At least print out the instructions and have them read it. Otherwise they'll dig you a nice hole....You could also sleep on it and think about where you're stuck. There isn't a lot to mess up. Maybe you forgot to remove a tool or something wasn't tightened or put back correctly? Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear! I hate when that happens.
Find out where you were having trouble and
Document it. Learn for the next time around,
Because I am sure there will another round

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
So anybody know a good source to purchase the tools to do a timing belt? I would like to purchase them without costing me an arm and a leg.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
I thought there was Chitty. The thing is when you do a search on here it never includes FAQ can that be adjusted? ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts