VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bentley service manual says for the PD TDI engines, line up marks on the camshaft sensor wheel with the marks on the rear timing belt cover to set the camshaft at TDC.

The mk4 manual says: "...the arrow of the rear section of the timing belt guard aligns with the lugs on the sender wheel of the hub". It shows the "4Z" arrow.

The mk5 manual is less clear: " Turn crankshaft until mark on camshaft sensor wheel aligns with mark on rear timing belt cover" It shows the "lower triangle mark". Unless you know what the mark on camshaft sensor wheel is it's not very helpful. In addition, it's not a mark, it's a lug on the sensor wheel.

I finally found some pictures showing what they are talking about. I've never even noticed them before because these marks aren't very visible with the timing belt in place!

The camshaft sensor wheels (hub-pulley) are different which is why the lower tab doesn't fill the entire lower triangle mark in the picture above right. You can't get a straight picture with the engine in the car except for the Passat so the "straight on" picture is of the Passat's BHW engine. In the end, it doesn't matter because the locking pin is the way to set the camshaft, not these tabs.

These pictures have been added to the timing belt writeups for PD engines:

2004-2006 mk4 models (BEW engine) Jetta, Golf, New Beetle TDI:
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vw-jetta-tdi-timing-belt-change-replacement-bew-engine.htm

2005-2006 mk5 Jetta TDI (BRM engine):
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/brm-VW-Jetta-TDI-timing-belt-replacement-1.htm

2004-2005 mk4 Passat TDI (BHW engine):
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/2005-vw-passat-tdi-bhw-engine-timing-belt.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just recently purchased a 2004 Jetta TDI. From all the service records, the car is still running on its original TB and it has 231,000 km! I have a replacement TB kit (and metalnerd tools) and camshaft kit from bora parts and plan on doing one or both this weekend.

Where can I get the specialized tools for camshaft replacement (in the Pacific northwest or BC preferred)?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rent the 2 tools, other than that, you can buy them from a vw tool distributor like snap on, worldimpex, dealer, or samstagtools.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you believe I should re-check timing after the belt has had time to break in? I'm confident that the camshaft and crankshaft are in time even after setting the belt tensioner. The engine runs very well but I thought it may be prudent to re-check after a couple of weeks. What's your view and experience on this?

bigochief

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can but it will take a while for it to retard. A month is OK and it's not like you're hurting the car if it's slightly out of spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts