VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order in US a kit for timing belt kit replacement for a 2002 Jetta TDI .
I wonder how much would be the cost for installation ?

I live in Hamilton/Ontario but I could drive 100km around.

Dealer quoted ( 1000+ including parts) and mentioned they usually change the thermostat as well when they do the timing belt kit.
Is that a good idea?
As the kit is for 100.000 miles thermostat replacement might be a small investments to be sure I don't need to drain the antifreeze soon to do it .

Car has 267.000 km and don't know much its previous history.

Your comments are appreciated .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I am not sure if you have had a chance to check the Ontario section of the TDIclub.com forum. Give a try. I am positive you would find the best local workshops that can do a perfect TB job far less than the dealer quoted amount.
Good luck!
Cheers
FTDI

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
You know, there are a couple of Canadian parts suppliers...

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/VWPartsA4.htm
www.precisiontuning.ca

The only mechanic I'd trust in the GTA would be Brandon Pilkey who runs DCB Auto Repairs in 400 and Finch area... 416 seven 4 seven zero 400. He would have saved you some money on the parts, as well...

Many shops will not be happy with you bringing in your parts (warranty issue: if something goes wrong, they could blame the parts... getting dealers and mechanics to cover mishaps is difficult enough, and this will make it impossible to get satisfaction should something happen).

If you post in the Ontario Forum of the www.tdiclulb.com you may get other recommendations (Brandon would be one of them), but be careful... Although this job isn't all that complicated (See the FAQ here), it's one that's been messed up countless times on account of someone taking shortcuts or not following procedure.

All the best,

Yuri

·
Registered
2 Posts
Timing belt

I am also a new owner with a Jetta TDI. I don't know the history and it's got 300K on it so I am assuming that the previuos owner didn't change the belt and then trade it in so I priced it out at Competition Motors (Belleville area) here and they had the deal on sale for $695 parts in. I have seen the complete parts kit on-line for around $350 so that seems about right

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The Belleville area is well served by both Competition Motors and... the VW dealer who has an excellent reputation, believe it or not... My only "nit" to pick with both of them is that they use a water pump with a composite (plastic) impeller... (I prefer metal, but for my previous timing belt - which I changed at a friend's place outside Belleville - I used a water pump from the dealer, as the aftermarket one I had in my kit didn't make me feel happy... a bit of play in the impeller... The plastic unit lasted until I just changed the belt system again...)

Yuri

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
just to adjust the pump timing at my local dealer (remove the belt cover and losen/tighten 3bolts a couple times) is from 350 to 400 usd.

its bull crap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Belleville has a fantastic crew. I have used them many times when other dealers have flat left me high and dry. If they don't know, they will find out faster than google; if they have it, they will get it to you at a very fair price (considering they are a dealer); and if they can fix it, it will be fixed properly (In my experience and that of others I know). People travel from GTA all the time to spend the day in Belleville and have their car fixed by them.

:+1

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

I know that it's better to buy from one place parts and labor , in case you need warranty .But let's face it it's so hard to prove it sometimes that you better save your sanity and forget about it.

I haven't bought the cheapest kit but rather the OEM parts with metal impeller pump.

It's a conflict of interest in my opinion when you buy parts and labor cause you don't see what are the parts included (if they are the most "economical" ones for the dealer ) .

Thank you for pointing me those two service companies ,sadly these days you know usually what you pay but you don't know what you get .

After I'll receive the parts and do the job I promise to post how much was the cost so other can have an idea .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Belleville

I live in this area and Competion Motors is the place to go. They are fairly inexpensive and know their stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Timing belt

I'm just doing both of my TDI's tomorrow myself. It's not all that complicated.
A shop to check out is "Import Auto Works" in Hamilton. 905-547-3759. Ask for Paul. He drives a
TDI and I've been picking up used parts from the shop lately. They have a well setup shop.

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts