VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there im new to this forum and was wondering if some one could help me please . i was wondering i have just put new valves in to a 2001 golf 1.9 tdi engine ready bto put on head but there are 3 notches in new gasket and only 2 in old one . have put the two gaskets against each other same all round . will the gasket with three noches make any diffrence .will it be ok to use the three noched one . what is the differance please help also have vag com in scottish borders if need help pm me

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies. I think the notches are to do with the thickness of the gasket like if you have the head skimmed you use the slightly thicker gasket so the compression ends up the same as it was. I'm not 100% sure but I remember it being that way on other cars.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes. Technically, you're supposed to measure piston protrusion and refer to your service manual for the correct head gasket. The car will still run but you'll change the compression because the head gasket thickness is now different. As Seatman said, was the head or deck shaved?

If not, use a 2 notch gasket, just like the old one. I would still measure piston protrusion just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts