VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says to check the timing belt. I can see some clips but I wanted to make sure before I try it. Any tips? What exactly do I look for?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
TB change

Chittybang

Have you ever changed a TB on a TDI? I have changed them on the old 1.6L diesel jettas which I know is different but everybody seems to be afraid to change them on a TDI or the mechanics make a big deal about doing them, is there a real challange to change the TB? I think next time my TB is due, I will read again your How to TB and will do it myself, even though in the How to it does not tell you to look at the marking on the flying wheel, but i believe I can figure that out.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I couldn't get a good picture of the flywheel timing mark. If you've ever seen a flywheel timing mark then it looks the same on manual trans - it's a notch. Auto trans has a -0- mark. If you check the other timing indexing marks and they are all on then it should be good to go. Double check them all and it should be fine. Sometimes it's better to take the pic with the part off the car so it's more clear.

I was thinking of updating the timing belt writeup anyways. There are 2 parts - removal and installation.

I think this is also probably the best timing belt writeup so far for the reg. injection pump mk4 TDI . A big problem with other ones is that they do not make the injection pump index mark as clear as possible. I have multiple pics and notes and a note about the square on the IP, locking pin, and center IP sprocket bolt and viewing error. This is 99% of all IP screwup problems. The writeup also has pics and dimensions of the TB tools for those who want to make them.

The mk3 TB writeup on tdiclub also has a big no-no. It suggests holding the TB with the CAMshaft holding plate while you torque the harmonic pulley bolts. This can result in a cracked camshaft. They never update their faqs or writeups and I don't know why since it only takes 5 minutes to fix errors and I'm sure I'm not the first one to point this out.

I'm sure I have lots of mistakes on this site but if someone points them out them they will get fixed.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Look through the FAQ section found at the top of each forum, it is specific to that forum/model. There is also a general FAQ information about diesels at 1000q.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts