VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

timing belt help...

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Seatman 
#1 ·
I began my timing belt project earlier tonight and I am stuck with a problem. I got all the way to the point where I have to rotate the engine to TDC. I used the VW tool to rotate the engine my the camshaft sprocket. When I did the belt slipped over the camshaft teeth. The camshaft rotated and slipped teeth and the engine did not. Luckily I marked on the sprocket and the belt just to be safe. Now the camshaft is off time by about 8 teeth. All the other timing is still good just 8 teeth off on the camshaft. So the question is, how do I get the cam lined back up with my marks so I can continue? Or how could I continue the project and make sure the cam is in time later?

Thanks and any replies soon would be appreciated

#4 ·
Is the old belt still on? Just take it off then line the engine up, it should be fairly straight forward as everything is marked, the crank has a mark on the flywheel, the pump locks with a pin and the camshaft has the lobes for #1 cylinder pointing up so the valves are closed for #1 cylinder. I think the slot at the rear of the cam is slightly offset though isn't it? If not just take off the valve cover.:)

#6 ·
Looking at the faq it has a locking pin that only fits in one place and as long as the crank and cam are in the right place then it should be fine. Just have a good look at the faq for the pump and compare the pictures to your pump and make sure you understand it first then go for it. You don't turn the engine over using the camshaft though, either use the crankshaft or if the car's a manual jack up the front right wheel and put the car in 5th gear then rotate the wheel to turn the engine over, if you do it by the cam then the tension will just lose grip and ping! You've jumped teeth.:)

#7 ·
I was just thinking too, I just had a similar experience recently doing a timing belt on a vw sharan with an AFN engine, I totally lost the positioning of everything lol, I had to do the same thing and figure it all out to get the new belt on but it's fine now so don't worry, you'll be fine.:)

#9 ·
yes I am but when I tried to rotate the engine the cam just jumped teeth and the engine didn't go anywhere. but how do we rotate the cam when it is under tension by the timing belt?
That should not happen at all. Did you tighten the tensipner clockwise and is the tab in place? STOP and recheck everything. Something is wrong. When you rotate the engine the car must be off and in neutral with any locks holding the TB in place out.

can i lock the injection pump without the engine being at TDC? and yes the old belt is still on. we were just going to lock everything but then the question came up can you lock the injection pump without the engine being at TDC
No but with the timing belt off you can rotate the injection pump until it's in place and you can get the pin in.

#11 ·
I think I understand what I need to do. I'm just trying to keep everything as close to what it was in the beginning so I don't have to screw with the timing too much when I put the new belt on. It looks like I'll just have to pull off the belt and set the crank, cam, and injection pump to all the correct positions then take it from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.