VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am new to the site. I recently bought a 2006 jetta with 85K on the odometer and now its got 117K. Through reading i found the reason for sale was probably the timing belt needs to be changed and I got three shops that all said at least $1,500. I found "Blauparts" on line and they have a kit for under $300 and you can rent tools from them. anyone use them before? I found the article on here about timing belt removal, i read it and can't get access to the installation article. what's the trick there? I am beginning to think I am over my head on this repair. I am a mechanical engineer but have done little on cars, is this straight forward? If I take my time and read the instructions are there any other nuggets people have for me? thanx, Byron in maryland

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The kit from Blauparts is fine. Now that you've posted an intro you can see the full article.

It's pretty straightforward and I think the instructions should be clear enough, if not, please post a suggestion or contribute your own suggestion to the article. The only other special tools you'll need are an engine support, torque wrench.

IMHO, do it yourself because most places aren't familiar with the TDI engine and will probably screw it up. If they don't have the tools forget using them. Also, check the camshaft for wear, this is a common problem and it's most convenient to change it when the timing belt is being serviced. See the article in the FAQ for this. Check out the new buying guide for a list of other common problem.s
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, I am actually looking forward to it. saving $1,000 always appeals to me and being an engineer I have always wanted to get ino my car more then brake pads and oil changes. I have wanted a diesel jetta for a long time, I hold onto cars so I had to wait till the last one I had was gasping its last breath. I saw someone say something about copying the instrctions to somewhere else, I would never do that, its someone's intellectual property but can I print them to have on the fender or work bench as I do the work? that can't imagine that would be bad. Thanx again, Byron

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, it should say somewhere you can print it out for your own use but not for commercial use. In other words, I don't want people copying the entire thing and posting to another site or selling copies on ebay. Everything on the site is free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engineering geek

I would never take someone's intellectual property and spread it around as my own or sell it.

Anyway, like a good engineer I have read it three times and am doing the job this weekend. I feel like if i read it over and spend enough time with the pictures when it comes time to do it you feel like you have been there before and have a lot higher confidence. thanks again for spending the time to write that, your instruction is making it possible for me to do it myself.

I have been reading all about cam issues with the BRM now too so i am scared mine is bad. I do get some knocking in the engine that is less when my foot is holding down the clutch and louder when I put it in neutral and release the clutch. It sounds like the engine has some valve knock. Is this just clutch noise? Am i nearing a clutch job? are there instructions on that @ myturbodiesel?

So far you guys have been great.

Thanks again.

Byron

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum Byron. welcometomyturbodies

I do get some knocking in the engine that is less when my foot is holding down the clutch and louder when I put it in neutral and release the clutch.
If it knocks when the clutch pedal is released in neutral and it goes quieter when the clutch is depressed that normally shows a bad gearbox bearing. All you are doing when you depress the clutch is seperate the engine from the gearbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gearbox bearing and timing belt

Thanks for the advice. when you say gearbox bearing is that the same as the throwout bearing? I have replaced one of those on a 1960's truck before along with the clutch pressure plates.

also, any idea how long the timing belt job takes? I know it depends on a lot so here's some background. I am a marine engineer who works on ships (connecting rods as big as a man, stand in the crank case, 5 ft diameter cylinders) I bought a parts kit with some special tools from Blauparts, read the awesomely detailed instructions Chittychittybangbang put out and I will be doing it on a lift at my buddies shop with access to all his other tools, he may also be around to help. oil changes or brake pads usually take me under an hour from start to clean up. am i looking at about 4 hours? I totally dont want to rush it and make a mistake but I am trying to estimate.

thanks,

Byron

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wrapping up my timing belt replacement this afternoon. If you're good at following directions and have all the required tools this really isn't a difficult job. I found it surprisingly easy. The writeup on this page is very good reference. I found I had to remove my fuel filter housing and disconnect the washer fluid filler neck. I also replaced the idler as it came with my kit (purchased from boraparts)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It took me just over 7 hours from start to clean up and running watching the thermo open and suck the coolant out of the overflow bottle. The instructions on this site were very good. I got the kit from Blauparts.com and they had instructions as well, I took something away from both sets of instructions. Their water filter had a plastic impeller but it was what I had so thats what went in. that is actually what came out too, had someone already done the timing belt on this car? I got it with 85K on it and no service history.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts