VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the timing belt on my 2004 VW Jetta BEW. I used the How-To thread and everything seemed to go fine. When I was finished, I started it up. Everything was great, it idled great and sounded good. When I took it on road, it had no power. The engine light came on and I pulled it in. The crankshaft pin and the camlock both fit when I put it back together. I did notice the intake hose under the headlight was loose so I clipped it back on. Still didn't help. Any suggestions on what I do now? I am a newbie and not mechanically gifted. Help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check for more loose hoses. The one by the intake manifold tends to pop off too. If the tools went in after turning the engine over twice you got the timing right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I will check the hoses this weekend. The pins fit after I put the belt on and tensioned it. I turned the engine over twice but did not check it again to see if the pins still fit. I have a feeling the timing is off a little. I will also look at that. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's important to always turn the engine over twice. This is because if you made any mistake up to that point with the timing or totally loose bolt/nut, it should show up then. If the timing was way off it should throw a code for camshaft sensor as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the reply. I left both pins in when I tensioned the timing belt. Is that the proper procedure? I will check the timing this weekend. I do not have a code reader to check the engine light warning. Thanks again, I may well be asking for more advice before this project is through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked this weekend and found the pipe under the car had come loose. After several tries, I managed to get the clamp on and it did not blow off. The car seems to run fine. However, the engine warning light is still on. Do I have to remove it with a scanner or should it go off when the problem was fixed? I assume the timing is ok. AS always, your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure I understand the question but I followed the how-to instructions and tightened it with a 6mm allen head wrench. The engine warning light went off so I quess I am good to go. Have driven the car over 100 miles with no problems. Thank Yall for the help and the how-to write up was great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts