VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2006 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L BRM Engine that is going on 110,000 miles. I plan to drive it for 300,000 plus miles easy. I am interested in learning about the timing belt change procedure and to research possible bio diesel use. I am currently getting 45-55 mpg average on a highway commute to work. This car has had little maintenance worries, however, my timing belt is due. I am planning to purchase the following kit @ http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=452

If you think I'm messing up let me know. I welcome thoughts on biodiesel too. Also if you are getting better mileage than me let me know your secrets. thanks, k

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
FYI, check the camshaft before doing the timing belt. This is a common problem and it makes sense to replace it now rather than having to re-do the timing belt later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, new here also, just curious do you feel the cam should be replaced when the TB is done regardless if it exhibits any signs of wear or not. It sounds to me from what I have read that a lot of people have had cam issues & I hate to do double work so I think I will do the cam also.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hi, new here also, just curious do you feel the cam should be replaced when the TB is done regardless if it exhibits any signs of wear or not. It sounds to me from what I have read that a lot of people have had cam issues & I hate to do double work so I think I will do the cam also.
No. Some people have had no wear. Many with wear don't seem to have any different maintenance so I don't know why it seems to happen. I would definitely inspect it before doing the TB though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No. Some people have had no wear. Many with wear don't seem to have any different maintenance so I don't know why it seems to happen. I would definitely inspect it before doing the TB though.
just seems odd, do you think it is an issue of maintenance or a bad batch of cams? I feel I have kept up on the maintenance & haven't abused the car so I will inspect first, thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
just seems odd, do you think it is an issue of maintenance or a bad batch of cams? I feel I have kept up on the maintenance & haven't abused the car so I will inspect first, thanks.
I don't know why but I've heard some good theories. IMHO, Franko6 has the best one which explains why the first and last lobe seem to wear early and bearing wear seems consistent. This is just a theory. The injector rocker caps don't go all the way to the end of camshaft and if the bolts were too tight it might have something to do with why first and last wear. Increased oiling could also help a possible design flaw. Maybe lots of short drives make a difference vs. long highway. People have used only PD approved oil but still gotten wear. No matter what, 5w-40 will help protect better than the VW spec 5w-30 engine oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi ,i have a 02 jetta tdi ,i had about 90.000 mile on it and the timing belt broke ,i was lucky that didnt damage the valves ,but recomend u to change it as soon as u can ,cause if it brakes on run ,it will cost u more then a timing belt ,goodluck.,.,.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting ready to do my timing belt before it breaks. It looks like this site has a ton of great info on it. It looks a little more involved than a gas vw timing belt. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts