VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI - Another item to add when you have the timing belt changed.
Had the timing belt change completed by a local shop with good ratings. At the same time I did all the other things one should do when you change the timing belt - water pump, other belts, etc. I mentioned to the shop I'm interested in preventative maint. Less than 500 miles later the alternator bearing siezed, and took out the alternator. When I had the car back at the same shop they mentioned encountering this a few times - I felt like hitting the guy - why didn't they mention it to me when I had all the other work done?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's a good idea for the shop to mention it but I don't think it's that common. I would rack it up to normal parts failure and I don't think it was related to the timing belt job or whatnot. What is your total mileage?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I might agree with replacing the alternator Pulley as PM but not overhauling an alternator. The pulley has a one way clutch built into it and they are a little more common to fail.my two cents

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
As ChittyChittyBangBang said, it's not that common... If you're going to be replacing the alternator bearings during a timing belt... why stop there???

I just did the 400,000 mile timing belt change on my 2003... halfway during my very first trip afterwards, the turbo actuator decided to die... (doesn't hold vacuum)... stuff happens... (I know I'm going to jinx myself, but... the car still has the original alternator... I know it will die one of these days, but I wasn't going to replace it on principle before I need to do so... Of course, I'm on the lookout for a decent used one to keep on hand...)

Yuri

PS: for those wondering... the camshaft and followers had already been replaced, and during this TB change I also changed the oil pump, chain and tensioner... I would recommend this be done earlier than 400,000 miles... too much wear on the tensioner...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts