VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Passat GLS TDI wagon just rolled over 90K and I'm looking down the barrel of a timing belt change and tackling the balance shaft update as well. Or, should I trade it in?

I'm the production manage of Newport Biodiesel and have enjoyed running B100 for the past 70K miles. I'm not so sure a new TDI would take kindly to B100 with the late post injection so I'm thinking the above tasks are worth the effort.

Glad to be part of the discussion, Nat.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Since VW confirmed that there will be no Passat wagon for 2012 or anytime soon, I would keep it or trade it in for a new Sportwagen. However, once those are fixed it will be happy, work well on B100, and the car should be in solid shape. I rent the special tools if you need them,welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Balance shaft update complete.

Timing belt and balance shaft update complete on my '05 Passat wagon. Thanks to this forum the job went smoothly and the tools I rented worked perfectly. Nothing much to add to the posted instructions, pretty much went as described. I was able to replace my timing belt without having to loosen the three bolts on the camshaft sprocket and the timing marks lined up perfectly with the new belt installed. While I was in there I installed new motor mounts, performed a mufflerectomy with 2.5" straight pipe and installed a Diesel Power Digi PD module from Pareys diesel performance.

Do I notice a difference? Yes, the engine revs much smoother and that annoying chain noise is gone. My TDI no longer sounds like a Singer sewing machine. The PD module is well worth the money. I commute daily about 75 miles on the highway and the upper end performance is much improved. Passing from 50 mph to 75 mph is where I notice the biggest difference. I've got it set at the "B" setting and have seem some reduction in MPG.

I am most pleased with the mufflerectomy. I left the cat in place and I don't think there is much difference in sound from stock. Put it this way, my wife hasn't noticed. When you get on it, that's when you hear the difference and it might be my imagination but the throttle respones seems much improved even before I installed the PD module. I highly recommend this modification. Check out Mandrel Bending Solutions on eBay for a nice exhaust kit package.

Thanks again for the great site and I'd be happy to discuss my experience with anyone contemplating the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running B100

Runs very well on B100. No smoke and no noxious fumes.

Before I installed the Diesel Power Digi PD Module, I was averaging 34-35 mpg on my commute to work (mostly highway) with B100. After installing the module with it set to "B" I'm seeing about 31-32 mpg.

With the colder weather coming, I'll be switching to B50 and then eventually B20 by mid winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any retailers selling Newport Biodiesel in the Westbay area? I live in Warwick, RI and as far as I can tell, there are no biodiesel retailers around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts