VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Les, proved and happy owner of 2006 Jetta TDI - until last week when I found out that my engine is not so healthy. The guy just asked if I have extended warranty on it, if not and he starts taking the engine apart I may see bill around $4000-$5000 (because this is "very expensive" engine). This may be truth, but I'm not buying that the engine is going, from whatever I can hear and feel this smells like camshaft/timing to me. So instead giving away $4000 I decided to inspect belt/camshaft myself and fix them if necessary - this is not rocket sceince after all.

I hope I'll find some help here.

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
298 Posts
Which guy? The dealer? Another mechanic? Listen to the videos in the camshaft writeup and at least take a look yourself if you suspect cam wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for some shortcuts - the guy, meaning "mechanic". I did not try dealer knowing they hugely overcharging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was expecting ...

Just follow up/update including pictures to confirm worn out camshaft - see below - at least three are in bad shape. Now how this job (replacement of camshaft) can cost $3000 - can any one explain it to me?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The parts are around $1000. Some profit for buying the parts + labor + tax + shop overhead = their asking rate. It's also a good idea to change the timing belt at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could understand twice the parts cost, but there is additional $1000 - I think it's too much. BTW: I'm going with belt also.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Just an FYI, I got an estimate from the VW dealer in Lafayette, La to change my '06 Jetta camshaft and it was only $1,862. Add tax and the consumable fees and you would get somewhere around $2,100 total. That includes cam, bearings, lifters, and new vale cover gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an FYI, I got an estimate from the VW dealer in Lafayette, La to change my '06 Jetta camshaft and it was only $1,862. Add tax and the consumable fees and you would get somewhere around $2,100 total. That includes cam, bearings, lifters, and new vale cover gasket.
FLIGHT316:
but it looks like you did not go for it. I read your posts with bearings issues - how that ended up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best way to put hub on camshaft

Just want to ask... what's the best way to put/install hub on camshaft?
I've heard of few:
using original VW pulley
hitting with mallet before camshaft goes in...

Les

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's pressed on with the bolt. You just put it on once the cam is tightened down, wiggle it so that it's flat, noting the key position, and tighten the bolt. Obviously, this will turn the cam so you have to use a counterhold tool to prevent it from turning. You do not have to hit the pulley w/hammer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, sometimes searching internet too much is just dangerous - truly I have no idea how anyone could come with idea of using pulley.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2006 vw jetta tdi camshaft replacement

hi,

i am starting a camshaft and lifters today on my 2006 vw jetta tdi...i would like to see if anybody has a detailed replacement procedures...thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts