VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to see what the best way to approch this.
I have a 1999.5 Jetta TDI That i am replacing the timing belt on because I don't know the history. Also I need to replace the clutch, PP and Flywheel. I have pulled the head off because while replacing the glow Plugs one of the GP head broke off. The vehicle has about 300,000 miles and was running just fine until the turbo locked up then it just didn't have much power. the intake had alot of accumulation as well.
Should I just do the timing belt, then the clutch? After Pulling the head 2 of the cam followers have the inpression that the cam follower wasn't spinning and left a little dimple the same width as the cam lobe. I will replace those. I will replace the front and rear crank seals while i have access to them. is there any thing else I should replace while I'm at it?

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Make sure that the new follower spins easily in the bore.

I can rent the crank yank tool for the front crank seal if you wish, send me a PM if interested.

As long as the engine is apart, you might as well replace any other easily accessible rubber seals since the car is 10 years/300k miles.

You may want to replace the oil pump chain and tensioner. It should still have some life but some have been known to wear out around this mileage. If you wish to do it as preventative maintenance there's no better time to do it because the crankshaft sprocket is off. With that, the car should last another 300k!

It doesn't matter if you do the TB or clutch first but I'd do them separately.

If you take detailed pictures of the steps and take notes on bolt sizes/etc., any writeups will qualify for the writeup contest. I would be particularly interested in camshaft replacement and oil pump chain/tensioner replacement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've read that the chain should be replaced every 300k but I know many have gone beyond that. However, I agree that if you're in there, change it out. Just remove the front flange. Here are the part numbers for an ALH engine.

oil chain: 038115230
tensioner: 06A115130B
seal: 038103085E
hardware: N90366303 and 06A105229

1 - 3 of 3 Posts