VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier reports that the wall was high were incorrect, the wall was actually only 12.5 feet high.

...I would be somewhat apprehensive about a tiger pen with only a 12.5 foot wall. Aren't tigers 8 feet long? The article says that wall should be at least16 feet tall but this seems low to me too.

The director of the zoo where a teenager was killed by an escaped tiger acknowledged Thursday that the wall around the animal's pen was just 12 1/2 feet high — well below the height recommended by the accrediting agency for the nation's zoos

San Francisco Zoo Director Manuel A. Mollinedo also admitted that it is becoming increasingly clear the 300-pound Siberian tiger leaped or climbed out of its open-air enclosure, perhaps by grabbing onto a ledge.

"She had to have jumped," he said. "How she was able to jump that high is amazing to me." Mollinedo said investigators have ruled out the theory the tiger escaped through a door behind the exhibit.

According to the Association of Zoos & Aquariums, the walls around a tiger exhibit should be at least 16.4 feet high. But Mollinedo said the nearly 70-year-old wall was 12 feet, 5 inches, with what he described as a "moat" 33 feet across.

Mollinedo said the "moat" contained no water, and has never had any. He did not address whether that affected the tiger's ability to get out.

On Wednesday, the zoo director said that the wall was 18 feet high and the moat 20 feet wide. Based on those earlier, incorrect estimates, animal experts expressed disbelief that a tiger in captivity could have made such a spectacular leap.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaq is 7'1 :) I'm sure he could pull himself over a 12 foot wall. And it appears that a tiger can jump that high too. The article also says that the zoo association said the wall was in compliance. I don't know, 12 feet just seems too small but I'm not a tiger expert.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
The news said that they might have been taunting the tiger and that a shoe and blood was found on the tiger's side of the wall. They should have security cameras around the dangerous animals for everyone's safety.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I saw in the news that the victims were taunting the tiger. I feel bad for them and hope that people don't start blaming them because it's still not an excuse for why the tiger could jump the wall.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
They need cameras on all the animals. not so much to protect the people, but more so to protect the caged animles from the idot humans.

I have read some on this story, but haven't seen any pics of the tiger cage/pin in this case, but others i have seen are pits with a wall at the top to try and keep people out, making the wall for the caged animal higher than the upper fence. Personaly, if someone is stupid enough to jump in a pin and taunt any animal, they desirve to become food.

Blaming the animal is typical, but wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts