VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting no throttle response from the pedal. When it is restarted, I get some response for a short time and it goes to no response. I had read from some previous posts that it could be the brake switch but after changing it, the same thing is happening.

The code that I am getting is throttle position sensor. The glow plug indicator is flashing along with the check engine. I tried a couple of parts stores and they have no listing for a throttle position sensor. Is it a complete pedal assembly on these? Any other thoughts on what my problem is? When the pedal is working, the engine seems to function as normal.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hm....if the engine RPM goes to a maximum or default of 1200, your accelerator pedal is bad. It's possible the plug or wiring is bad as well. The accelerator pedal is a single unit, they don't sell the position sensor by itself.

If you have manual the replacement is 6q1 721 503 h (6q1721503h), if you have an auto the replacement is 6q1 723 503 d (6q1723503d).

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
This is my experience over here in the UK bud. It was a dealer only part. I had the same issue over here for my car and bought a new one only to find out that my problem was actually my ecu. My ecu is positioned below the windscreen, under the cowling and it was soaked. I opened it up and there was crud shorting out the contacts where the main plug/plugs go in so I gave it a good clean and dry, then sealed it up nicely and it's been great ever since. The sensor is under the dash, above the clutch pedal and if you get the number off of it, you might be able to locate one second hand but I would check for dampness or wire damage because it's supposedly very rare that they do break at least that's what I was told.

·
Super Moderator
9,231 Posts
Welcome to the forum mclesco. welcometomyturbodies

What codes are you getting? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I don't have the codes here with me but the only codes were related to the throttle position sensor. The transmission was also not shifting correctly and it was missing throttle position information. When the codes were reset, it shifted normally again. I took the pedal apart tonight. Looked clean but I don't have resistance specs to test the contacts.

From the info above, it sound like a new pedal, ecu or bad connection in between. Are the 6 wires between the pedal and the ECU direct? Can they be tested for continuity? Will have to continue to troubleshoot more tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
... Seatman my fellow "Scot"!..........

This is my experience over here in the UK bud.
It was a dealer only part.
I had the same issue over here for my car and bought a new one
only to find out that my problem was actually my ecu.
My ecu is positioned below the windscreen, under the cowling and it was soaked.
I opened it up and there was crud shorting out the contacts where the main plug/plugs go in
so I gave it a good clean and dry, then sealed it up nicely and it's been great ever since.
The sensor is under the dash, above the clutch pedal and if you get the number off of it,
you might be able to locate one second hand but I would check for dampness or wire damage
because it's supposedly very rare that they do break at least that's what I was told.
"Seatman",
I was just preparing for my next project on my Son's car and "lo & behold" I run into you here!
But don't worry, I've already broken our plastic cowling panel and
played with the ECU/ECM and this one is dry and thus hopefully in good order!?
Our Jetta TDI has the mostly plastic style throttle assembly!
Since we purchased this TDI last summer,
I have noticed that for me it regularly "balks"/hesitates
IF I get off the brake and onto the throttle too quickly!

Here is my early plan of attack:
(a) go into and disconnect the 6-wire plug and measure resistances...
also looking for indications of a dirty conductive surface that I'm all but certain
this sensor is... I'll be sure to use an analog VOM to check it out!
(b) IF I find the resistance fluctuating and NOT smooth to go up and down
with throttle movement, then I'll try to do a little "surgery" gaining access to
first look for signs of a dialectric lubricant inside.
IF there are signs of a dialectric inside, this complicates things a bit but
I love a challenge.
IF there are NO signs of a dialectric, then I'll first spray it with an electronics/
electrical cleaner and dry it out... seal it up and see IF it performs better!
Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I don't have the codes here with me but the only codes were related to the throttle position sensor.
The transmission was also not shifting correctly and it was missing throttle position information.
When the codes were reset, it shifted normally again.
I took the pedal apart tonight.
Looked clean but I don't have resistance specs to test the contacts.

From the info above,
it sound like a new pedal, ecu or bad connection in between.
Are the 6 wires between the pedal and the ECU direct?
Can they be tested for continuity?
Will have to continue to troubleshoot more tomorrow.

"McLesco",
Are you still working this project?
IF you found a fix, let everyone know what it was!
I can look them up and supply you with resistance specifications IF you still want them!?
Regards,
Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts