VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm thinking about whether to change out the chain driven balancer on my '05 Passat TDI. It's time to change the timing belt so I'm thinking of doing the whole job now. I've carefully listened to my chain driven balancer both with ear and stethoscope and it is presently barely audible so changeout is purely optional. However, while I was looking around underneath to check the condition of the motor mounts and the location of components that need to be removed for the balancer change, I noticed that the subframe alignment holes are not lined up very well. I'm wondering what it takes to align them properly without unbolting the subframe as is necessary for the balancer change. If I pretty much have to remove it anyway just to align it, then I might as well do the whole job and change out the balancer.

Advice is welcome.

Thanks

Rick

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You must unbolt the subframe to align the alignment holes. If they're not aligned, figure out why. It can screw up your wheel alignment. It's possible someone changed the control arms and didn't put them back properly. To align them properly, use the subframe alignment guides. They fit in the holes and hold it in place while you bolt it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts